Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] Manual Tailshaft Centre bearing replacement

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It's a two into one system that gets in the way of almost all VY LS1s. Being a manual though mines easier in that I don't need to slide it out of the trans.

sandp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY International LS1
I attempted this on my VY SS (manual) today and it was not to be. Seems I have one of those shafts that just will not separate, even tried the hydraulic press at the mechanics up the road. Very inconvenient but what can you do, I have a reco jobbie inbound with new bearing and balanced for $330 due tomorrow, which considering my plans is probably for the best.

I didn't need the E20, found that there's enough movement via the uni and trans output

got it out using the E20, now having difficulty in separating the two shafts. I cut off all the rubber and budged it about 3mm by using chisel between the bearing and the shaft, but run out of something to wedge apart.

Where did you get the recon shaft from?

Last edited:

sandp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY International LS1
phew - shafts separated after a few hours of repeated soaking and hitting.

got it out using the E20, now having difficulty in separating the two shafts. I cut off all the rubber and budged it about 3mm by using chisel between the bearing and the shaft, but run out of something to wedge apart.

Where did you get the recon shaft from?
fter

10_80

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx Commodore.
Rehashing an old thread I know, but what part does the O ring play ?

Commodore tail shaft bearing..jpg

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
It acts as a stopper for the splines when the two halves of the shaft are joined together, so the two shafts don't just slide apart when it is taken out of the vehicle.

This oring is the reason you have to pull hard to separate the two halves of the shaft after taking the slip joint boot clamp off.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Incorrect the Oring is just a seal the snap ring is what holds the shafts together.