Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual trans in a V6 Calais

Unconnected

Reaction score
Members Ride
Impreza/Redline VF soon
Hey guys, you might have seen me in the VL section asking questions regarding to that model.

anyway, i have found a VK calais that i like the look of on carsales, but its a V6 model, the owner says its a manual trans, but when i looked at pics of his dash it clearly shows an illuminated park brake light. and then when i looked it up on redbook, it said that they only offered MT on the 5L V8.

so whats going on, is redbook wrong? is the guy off his face? or did he put a MT in it. which leads me on too:

if he put a MT in the car, whats the deal with RWC and such, as its quite a large mod in my books would it need checking out by a mechnaic before i can rego that **** up?

Thanks.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
What does having a park brake got to do with not having a manual trans? Or am I missing something here?

I would be more concerned about a RWC with the V6.

Unconnected

Reaction score
Members Ride
Impreza/Redline VF soon
well most manuals dont have a park brake like an auto does, as in a pin that locks the output shaft of the trans (or atleast i think thats how they work). so for me seeing that it has a park brake warning light on the dash tells me its in park.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
The park brake and the locking mechanism in an auto are two totally different things. The park brake (lever) has a switch on it, and when you apply it, the switch earths outs causing the light on the dash to light up. The locking mechanism in an auto is just a standard function within the box itself. You dont need a warning light to tell you the cars in 'Park', because you should realize the car isnt moving :p.

Hope that clears it up. :)

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Hey guys, you might have seen me in the VL section asking questions regarding to that model.

anyway, i have found a VK calais that i like the look of on carsales, but its a V6 model, the owner says its a manual trans, but when i looked at pics of his dash it clearly shows an illuminated park brake light. and then when i looked it up on redbook, it said that they only offered MT on the 5L V8.

so whats going on, is redbook wrong? is the guy off his face? or did he put a MT in it. which leads me on too:

if he put a MT in the car, whats the deal with RWC and such, as its quite a large mod in my books would it need checking out by a mechnaic before i can rego that **** up?

Thanks.

VK factory 3.3l carb were available auto & MT, EFI straight 6 were Auto only seeing you say it is a V6 its not factory so its had an engine conversion.

As for RWC on an auto to manual as long as he used a manual pedal box and all the correct brackets etc ie factory spec parts no worries. I would be more concerned about the engineers report on the V6 conversion.

cheers
Scott