Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual Transmission Fluid Capacity for VF Commodore SV6

Michael_Whelan

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY14 VF SV6 UTILITY
Hey guys,

Surprisingly I havent been able to find a thread on this. I've been looking through the owners manual and online to find the capacity for the manual transmission on my VF SV6 ute. I haven't been able to find anything concrete. I understand that you fill the fluid until it begins to pour out of the fill hole, but wanted a guide as to what size bottle of fluid I should buy. I've heard 1.8L is the capacity, but can't find any GM verified sources that say this. If someone could confirm i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Michael

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Is it the aisin ay6? according to service manual capacity is 1.8 litres of sae 75W-90 GL5 Gear Oil

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
What brand are you going? Penrite is 2.5l, Castrol is normally 4l. Others are 5l so you’ll pretty much need only one bottle.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
According to the VF workshop manual, the Aisin D173 6 speed manual contains 5 litres of oil within :eek: Sadly they don’t specify the RPO code for this gearbox (I suspect it is AY6) and they don’t specify the type of oil. Instead the workshop manual states:

The Recommended Fluids and Lubricants information will only be found in the Owner's Manual. Refer to the Service and Maintenance section of the Owner's Manual.
5 litres seems rather different to the 1.8 litres posted above :rolleyes:

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
According to the VF workshop manual, the Aisin D173 6 speed manual contains 5 litres of oil within :eek: Sadly they don’t specify the RPO code for this gearbox (I suspect it is AY6) and they don’t specify the type of oil. Instead the workshop manual states:

The Recommended Fluids and Lubricants information will only be found in the Owner's Manual. Refer to the Service and Maintenance section of the Owner's Manual.
5 litres seems rather different to the 1.8 litres posted above :rolleyes:

In same workshop manual, Aisin AY6 says 1.8 litres. Not sure where you're finding d173?. The RPO for the AY6 is MV5

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@dassaur, the info I posted was under the following section on page 135:
<General Information>
<Maintenance and Lubrication>
<Specifications>
<Approximate fluid capacities>
= 5 litres

On the iPad it’s easier to look at the early section than to drag a slide bar and search for manual gearbox section, but if I did, I’d have found the following section on page 11186:
<Manual Transmission - AY6 (MV5)>
<Specifications>
<Lubrication specification>
= 1.8 litres

So it’s Holden quality control at play and yet another error within the doc... but which one is correct? A manual takes less fluid than an auto which needs 10+ litres and I’d be more inclined to think the gearbox section is likely the correct amount but as I haven’t changed oil in that gearbox I don’t know and would be just guessing....

Has anyone actually changed the oil in an MV5 6 speed manual?

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
@dassaur, the info I posted was under the following section on page 135:
<General Information>
<Maintenance and Lubrication>
<Specifications>
<Approximate fluid capacities>
= 5 litres

On the iPad it’s easier to look at the early section than to drag a slide bar and search for manual gearbox section, but if I did, I’d have found the following section on page 11186:
<Manual Transmission - AY6 (MV5)>
<Specifications>
<Lubrication specification>
= 1.8 litres

So it’s Holden quality control at play and yet another error within the doc... but which one is correct? A manual takes less fluid than an auto which needs 10+ litres and I’d be more inclined to think the gearbox section is likely the correct amount but as I haven’t changed oil in that gearbox I don’t know and would be just guessing....

Has anyone actually changed the oil in an MV5 6 speed manual?
Yep that 2nd lot, p11186 is where I got the info. If you look at places like SCA, they use the RPO and they suggest 1.8L too.
I also doubt that the smaller transmission uses more oil than the larger tremec, but obviously that's just a guess!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
... SCA, they use the RPO and they suggest 1.8L too...
I also doubt that the smaller transmission uses more oil than the larger tremec, but obviously that's just a guess!
Wasn't having a go at you ;):cool:
Good that SCA confirms 1.8 litres of GL5 75W-90 gear oil is sufficient :cool: