Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual VT wagon or VX wagon + conversion?

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Ok well my plans to get a particular VS went into the bin when said VS had an accident involving much front-end damage.

So now I'm trying to decide whether to buy a manual VT station wagon or get a VX station wagon and convert it to manual.

I'm hoping to find a Series 2 VT to avoid all the typical little series 1 problems that always seem to show up, plus my understanding is that they're a little bit lighter than the series 1.

Is the price difference + cost of a manual conversion worth it to get the VX over the VT? I'm guessing it's about $2,000 - $3,500 to convert it depending on where I go, plus I'm guessing there's probably a good $2-$3,000 in price difference for the car itself so I'm more leaning towards the VT.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Never mind guys :D

I'm getting a VX station wagon for just under $13,000 for $240 a month over the next few years from Hunter Holden. Yes, it's an auto, but I will have it converted!

I'm so excited!!! :D :D :D

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
DavidPartay said:

I'm getting a VX station wagon for just under $13,000 for $240 a month over the next few years from Hunter Holden. Yes, it's an auto, but I will have it converted!

Hope you didn't get a VX Series 2...

It'll be a costly exercise converting it if you got an ecotec. The ECU's aren't exactly friendly to tune.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
also a NEW manual conversion can be round $8K mark and a second hand one can depend but usually round $4-5K.

alot of people have asked on this forum and some have tried but most changed there mind. the general consensus is that its better to sell auto car and buy manual one.....but you bought the auto.

good luck with it but its not going to be cheap or problem free

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
DavidPartay said:

Did you get a series 1 or series 2 ?

DeanoVT said:
also a NEW manual conversion can be round $8K mark and a second hand one can depend but usually round $4-5K.

alot of people have asked on this forum and some have tried but most changed there mind. the general consensus is that its better to sell auto car and buy manual one.....but you bought the auto.

Spot on.... DeanoVT:thumbsup:

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
What's wrong with the Series 2?

It's a 2002 model VX....

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
DavidPartay said:
What's wrong with the Series 2?

It's a 2002 model VX....
Series 2 VX's if ecotec's have an ECU which can't be tuned.

It uses memcal technology whereas the earlier models used flash memory. There currently aren't any tools that allow tuning of a memcal, unless you get a piggyback ECU from companies such as haltech, motech etc. They come with their own issues that need not be discussed here. Its an expensive path to go down, as the piggy back ECU itself would cost up to $1500, then you have a very complex installation ontop of that.

To "downgrade" your ECU to flash also is a tedious task, requiring a major overhaul of your wiring harnesses, instrument cluster etc.

Obviously you need to retune your ECU to handle the manual as it will cause the car to run poorly without. So as you can see its a very difficult path to go down with the series 2.

If you're just going to get a shop to do the work for you, and still haven't purchased the car, I'd investigate costing before you commit yourself to the purchase.

You may be better off holding off till you find a series 1, or a VT that is to your liking if your heart is set on a manual.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Meh, I'm sure I'll live. If it's really that costly then there's not much point hey? If only Holden would just bloody well make a manual wagon :).

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
DavidPartay said:
Meh, I'm sure I'll live. If it's really that costly then there's not much point hey? If only Holden would just bloody well make a manual wagon :).
By all means investigate the costing, I haven't attempted it myself, and only going by what I've heard from other people.

You just probably bought the model that is the hardest to convert by all reports. That said, if you shop around for all the parts, you may find somewhere that can do it for a reasonable price.

glen_56

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt in progress
DeanoVT said:

Are you serious? I converted my ss to manual and used a secondhand gearbox with 40,000km on it. Some parts were new from holden and it cost me $1900 all up. Can't imagine it costing more than $2500 if someone else does it for you.