Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Manualizing" the auto aerial (VN)

tlronny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
Turning the auto aerial into a fully manual one (VN)

How do you turn the fully auto stereo aerial into a fully manual one using only the dashboard controls to raise and lower it - I think there is a control box under the dash but not sure wot to do next ?? :confused:

Last edited:

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
Yes, there is a module screwed onto a bracket above the ECU on the LH inner front pillar. You need the module, and the dash mounted up/down buttons, and the patch harness.

tlronny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
What i mean is (sorry !) how do i convert my VN auto aerial to just work on the instrument up/down buttons instead of the 'car' always doing it ? ;)

hutto

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN V8 Calais/HSV SVO
Try disconnecting the Yellow/Red wire from the back of the radio harness, if you can't disconnect it then cut it a little further back so if it doesn't work then you can join it back together. Info from Gregorys service and repair manual VN,VG,VP series(exec,ss,calais,utility,s)

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
use a very small flat blades screwdriver and flick the pin out of the plug :)

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Its probably easier to take the pink wire out of the control unit connector near the glove box and tape it since it has 12v on it while the radio is on but you also have to tee off the orange wire there and put it on the terminal where the pink wire came from in the connector.
If you don't put the constant 12v (orange tee off wire) on it when you go to power the aerial up with the switch it will go up but when you take your finger off the up button it will drive down again since it thinks if there is no power on the pink wire terminal the radio must be off and will automatically power the aerial down.

Last edited:

tlronny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
Are you sure this is is correct as I just tried it and popped the 15A fuse.
Im pretty sure I did it as written - could you verify this please ?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Yes the pink wire is the wire that comes from the radio and has 12v on it when the radio is on .The wire starts out at the radio coloured yellow/red and changes colour to pink along the way at a connector....on some cars it stayed yellow red all the way to the module so the wire you are looking for is either yellow/red or pink when the radio is on.
The orange/white wire has the constant 12 on it .
At the wiring plug take out the pink wire lug at the aerial module .At this stage If you put the plug back on when you go to put the aerial up with the switch it will go up and then when you take your finger off it will immediately go down again .
That terminal where the pink wire was needs a constant 12v to make th module think the radio is always on.
The orange/white wire has the constant 12v so you need to supply it to the terminal on the module where the pink wire came from.
I had a problem with my radio where the 12v from the radio was intermittently failing and the only way to stop the aerial going down was to false feed the terminal where the pink wire used to be was with power from the orange/white wire.

Last edited:

tlronny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
Thanks - It worked a treat ! ;)

Last edited: