Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Many, many questions and problems..

nyteshyft

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Series II Commodore Sportswagon
Hello JC! This is my second post, so bare with me lol.

I have a 2002 Series II VX Executive Sedan, ODO says 270,000km's.
Two weeks ago I replaced the engine with an engine out of a VS Wagon, unfortunately I don't know what year the VS. After doing this I was informed that it is illegal to put an older motor in to a new car (can someone verify this for me?). However, I did swap the plenum chamber and fuel injector system over from the VX engine to the VS engine as the VX has the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve and the VS doesn't. So the engine I put in is EPA compliant for the make and model of the car.

So a basic rundown of what is in the car..
VS engine - 300,000k's+
VX plenum chamber, air intake, fuel rail, injectors, wiring loom and EGR valve.
VS coil pack.
New plugs and leads.
New battery.
Removed thermostat.
New radiator.
Pod filter with a self modded adaptor for the sensors. (They are in the correct place).
Straight cat sports exhaust.

During the engine swap, I had the VS engine and my original VX trans all hooked up and on the engine crane, I was raising it to get it into the engine bay, then the chain snapped. This caused the engine to obviously fall, smashed the sump, bent the pickup and crack the oil filter adaptor. I then took the sump and pickup and oil filter adaptor off the VX engine and put it onto the VS. However, I didn't think to check if the galleries on the adaptor were the same as the one I replaced, are they? I threw the broken one out before even thinking of this. Changed the oil filter and oil then did a flush, then changed the oil filter and oil again.

Now, once everything was installed, I drove it around for a few days with no problems. Then the other day I drove it from home to a mates (about 35k's) and halfway there the oil light came on and started beeping, then it turned off after 3-5 seconds and did it again. It did this over and over again, regardless of rev range. I made it to my mates place cringing the whole way as a tappet sound started to form. I turned it off then quickly took the oil cap off to see if there was any oil in the heads and if it were milky. Wasn't milky but a bit of sludge and there was a little bit of oil the bottom of the head but looked dry everywhere else (lifters, springs, underside of oil cap, etc.). Did another engine flush a couple of hours later, replaced the oil filter and changed the oil. I tried driving it home later that night, and halfway it started doing it again, so I parked the car, got out, kicked the rh guard in (I now need a new guard, if anyone has one to sell.), then got my mrs to pick me up.

Two days later I got my car and drove it the rest of the way home, no problems, it got to temperature and had no troubles. Weird. The next day I took it for a test drive around town, once it got to 50 degrees, the oil light and beeping and the tappet sound started again, so I drove it back home.

Today, I replaced the PCV Valve, thinking it might be that for some reason. I have scoured the internet and these forums reading every post on lost oil pressure. I know for a fact that it's not the pickup, oil pump, big end bearings, or blocked galleries. There are no oil leaks. I realise that the engine has done over 300k, but it was serviced regularly and well looked after. The guy I bought it off (for a slab of VB, lol) said he never had issues with it. He was only replacing it because his wife wrote off her VX and he wanted the engine out of it. I trust the guy too because he's a family friend, he was going to take his engine to the wreckers, so I offered him a slab for it.

I've checked all the vacuum hoses, they are all fine. The only thing I can think it is the oil filter adaptor which I changed over. Are the galleries the same? If they are the same, then I can only think that it would be the Oil Pressure Regulator Valve, which may have gotten gasket goop on it when putting the adaptor on.

Ok, so my main questions are:
- Is the OPR Valve necessary? Can I remove it entirely?
- Can I block off the EGR Valve considering this engine never had one? (I'll keep it there though in case I get pulled over, just block it internally?)
- Do I need to get the car tuned in any way? Since I'm using a VX ECU and wiring loom on a VS engine?
- My car meets EPA standards, but is what I have done legal? - I only ask this because I need to notify my insurance company of the engine change.
- Are the galleries on the oil filter adaptor the same for the VS and VX engines?
- Should I change all sensors?

If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated, and I apologise that it's so long and that there are no pictures to help identify problems. It's doing my head in. It's the 3rd time I've replaced the motor in this car. The first time it did a head gasket, so I bought a second hand engine off the wreckers, did a head gasket two weeks later. Got a complete gasket kit and rebuilt the engine, lasted 2 weeks before water was gushing out my exhaust due to a crack in the block. So now I have this engine and more problems. I don't know whether I'm loyal to Holden or just stupid.

nyteshyft

Reaction score
Members Ride
I doubt I need to change the sump. It holds oil. It's doing it's purpose correctly. The separation walls on the sump are the same as the one I replaced.

This has been doing my head in for the last 2 weeks. Before I stuck this engine in 2 weeks ago the car was off the road for 8 months as the block cracked or the heads were warped and I was sick of working on it. I am a Spray Painter by trade, I used to work for Blackburn Motor Body doing Prestige work, in other words, I can paint. If anyone in Melbourne can get my car running smoothly (if it needs parts, I'd obviously buy them) I will do whatever you like paint wise to your car, ie. paint your dash, interior, panels, respray, whatever. I can only fix small dints, I'm not a panel beater, I'm a painter. Also, I'm only offering my labour, meaning, I'm not buying any paint materials.

I just want to be able to drive my car and for it to work properly. It's times like this that make me cringe and slap myself when I think back to when I sold my Torana for $500.

jason_85

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Vy SS and 99 Vt SS
Better off throwing the vs engine away and picking up a decent low k vx/ vy engine for a couple hundred bucks... I picked up a v6 from a vy with 168000ks for $300.. runs like a dream... you'll have alot less or no problems then.. good luck with it all bud

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
YES the oil pressure relief valve is necessary, and if it gets crud in it can definitely cause oil pressure problems! check and resolve any issues there before you move on to anything else.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I fitted a VS ecotec to a VY not long ago, and before I did this, I contacted the RTA here in NSW about it,(it may be different in VIC) and they said that as long as it complies with the emission standards of the newer model engine, then its ok to fit it. The only differences between the VS ecotec and a VT to VY ecotec is the EGR system (Exhaust Gas Recirculation), and to fit the EGR system to the older model engine, you just need to swap over the inlet and exhaust manifolds off the new model engine to the older model engine.They are a straight easy swap..The inlet manifold gaskets are well known for leaking/failing on the ecotecs anyway, so you kill 2 birds with one stone when the manifold is swapped over..
Also the later model ecotec uses 1 coolant temp sensor for both the temp gauge and ECU, the VS ecotec used 2 seperate sensors, so swapping over the inlet manifold also solves this problem, as the engine coolant temp sensor is located in the inlet manifold.

Last edited:

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
According to posters on here who have put older engines in to newer cars it can be done legally. The age of the engine is not the issue, it's the emissions controls that are the factor. As long as you re-fit all the standard emissions equipment there should be no issue. Why don't you contact VicRoads and specifically check for yourself. Just tell them you need to replace your engine with an identical but slightly older one and you will be refitting all the original emissions equipment then ask, is that legal. Find someone who knows what they're talking about and I'm sure you'll find the answer is yes.

I don't live in Vic but as I said, other people on here have done it. One I specifically remember reading on here was in NSW and was told on here as you have been that it was illegal but upon checking with NSW main roads found as long as emmisions were complied with it COULD be done. He was told it was the emissions controls, not the actual engine vintage that were the issues. This is where I think some people get confused. They're half right. You can't chuck a 308 out of a HQ into your Commy without complying with the relevant laws but if you really wanted to go that way, and you were mad enough to want to, you could actually do it. Why you would of course...? But you see where I'm coming from?

As to your oil pressure I would agree with jeepyrocks. Definitely the first thing I'd be looking at.

nyteshyft

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys! :)

As it is now, it complies with EPA standards. All good with Vicroads.

I have to borrow an engine crane from a mate in order to take the oil filter adaptor off. I'll post the outcome once it's done, probably later this week.

In reply to buying a second hand engine for 'a couple hundred bucks', no thanks. I bought one for $550 and it lasted less than two months. I'm not going through that again.

jason_85

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Vy SS and 99 Vt SS
I was lucky I guess.. still going strong a year later..