Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MAP SENSOR CORRECT INSTALLATION

SEEKING KNOWLEDGE

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ ONE TONNER
I have a 2005 VZ One Tonner with the 3.6lt Alloytec 175 kw LEO Engine. On the RHS back of Intake Manifold is a MAP sensor( Bosch 0 261 230 101) bolted to the manifold and a protruding socket. The sensor probe with a green 0ring is situated in the the socket and is open to the atmosphere but has no connection to the Intake Manifold. I cannot understand therefore how does this sensor sense the Manifold Absolute Pressure with out connection to the inside of the manifold. Is there supposed to be a hose and if so where would it connect to the manifold?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The sensor probe with a green 0ring is situated in the the socket and is open to the atmosphere but has no connection to the Intake Manifold.
Do you have a picture? Can't really understand how you describe it. Largely the Alloytec will use the MAF on the intake pipe for it's air metering. At a guess it is supposed to tee off of some other pipe which is missing - the only hoses that should be open to atmosphere are trans and coolant vent hoses.

Last edited:

SEEKING KNOWLEDGE

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ ONE TONNER
Do you have a picture? Can't really understand how you describe it. Largely the Alloytec will use the MAF on the intake pipe for it's air metering. At a guess it is supposed to tee off of some other pipe which is missing - the only hoses that should be open to atmosphere are trans and coolant vent hoses.

Attachments

• 20210920_134809.jpg
    20210920_134809.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 20210920_133007.jpg
    20210920_133007.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 87

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
In the VZ manual it comes up as a "barometric pressure sensor" - basically for measuring the pressure of the atmosphere/environment the car is in.
1632212445674.png

SEEKING KNOWLEDGE

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ ONE TONNER
Thanks mate now I know, why would GMH place a Barometer sensor on Australian cars. Understand if we had mountains as I Europe or USA but here in Australia we have a flat continent with some small mountains in the south east.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea if it isnt in the manifold then it is just a barometric pressure sensor, they just use map sensors in free air for that reading

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Thanks mate now I know, why would GMH place a Barometer sensor on Australian cars. Understand if we had mountains as I Europe or USA but here in Australia we have a flat continent with some small mountains in the south east.
There is a fair pressure difference between sea level and up to 6,000 feet high country tracks. Even Mt Bulla is around 5000 feet. Hardly call it flat

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Southern table lands in NSW varies from 500m to 1200m above sea, the Great Dividing range which has roads on it is about 2200m above sea, both spread over large areas too. The barometric pressure will also change depending on temperature and humidity so can be useful at a constant elevation. The sensor basically allows the ECU to calculate the mass/density/weight of air to help work out the volume of air going into the engine and fuel accordingly.

SEEKING KNOWLEDGE

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ ONE TONNER
There is a fair pressure difference between sea level and up to 6,000 feet high country tracks. Even Mt Bulla is around 5000 feet. Hardly call it flat
99% of motorist are down on the flat plains of the states of Australia. Hardy see to many Commodores up in the High Plains on country tracks.