Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MAP Sensor help

Jaym

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Berlina
MAP Sensor or Not Please help my daughter is sick

hi guys my car is playing up real bad i cheacked codes and got Code 33 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP) - Voltage Too High, sorry to be a pain but i need to fix this ASAP as my daughter is really sick and im affraid i may have to take her to hospital during the night

Any help would be great
Cheers
Jay

Last edited:

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
that means you need to replace the sensor,, please someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think it's behing the alternator, head down to bursons and ask for one and it should just be a screw in and plug in job, plus removing the alternator which is 2 bolts and a few power lugs, hpe it all works out for ya mate

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
MAP sensor is the black rectangular box bolted to the firewall. Stand at the front of the car with the bonnet open, look down the length of the big black plastic intake pipe on the passengers side, you'll see a black rectangle at the other end of it (not attached to it). The box should have one electrical connector, and one hose (running to the throttle body).

Hope your daughter comes good soon.

Jaym

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Berlina
sorry yes i know what a map sensor is, i just wanted to know if this was a common proabalem and is there a cheap fix for the next 24 hours, turns out my daughter had to stay in hospital over night, im on my way back up there now, just hard to drive with a dead map sensor, and yes i reset the ecu every time i park the car

cheers

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
I don't think there's any easy way to fix it other than replacing it. If you've got a wreckers near by you should be able to just get a second hand one from there. Takes bugger all to swap it over.

As for being a common problem, I can't say that I hear of it all that often, but then again, I'm not a mechanic either.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
ive seen it a bit.
as for it not working it will make the car run extreemly rich as it will think its at open throttle all the time so fuel consumption will hit the roof.
theres no quick fix for this so you can just replace it but id recomed replacing the vacume hose off the map sensor to the intalk as well as they perrish and split.
Also ckeck all other vacume hoses as well. because they can split and perrish aswell

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
CSL said:
that means you need to replace the sensor,, please someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think it's behing the alternator, head down to bursons and ask for one and it should just be a screw in and plug in job, plus removing the alternator which is 2 bolts and a few power lugs, hpe it all works out for ya mate
i think thats the coolant temp sensor your describing

Jaym

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Berlina
ok guys i brought my daughter home from hospital car went ok.. but then i had to go get my other daughter and the car broke down but wont start anymore, well it starts coughs and farts for a few seconds then stalls, i changed map sensor made no differnce, i really need my car as my daughter has to go back to hospital at 7 in the morning to see the doc

mischf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2
Bro i'll drive your daughters around for ya!