Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Marijuana, your opinion's

Do you think marijuana should be legalized

• Yes

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 33 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

qwertsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Hey people i was just wondering what your thought's are on marijuana. Do you think it should be legalized or decriminalized?
Science has proved that it is safer then alcohol and cigarettes.
Here is a list of positives of marijuana
*Get's you high
*Relaxes and calm's you
*Reduces pain from cancer
*Reducus pain from Aids's
*Can prevent lung cancer
*Can be used to relieve glaucoma and certain neurological illnesses such as epilepsy, migraine and bipolar disorder
*Can stall Alzheimer's desease (demensia)
*Increased awareness of sensation, including visual stimulation, music, taste, and sexual pleasure

Marijuana long term use does not cause lung cancer and can prevent it
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729_pf.html

Marijuana can stall alzheimer's http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4286435.stm?ls

Here is some negative's on marijuana
*Varying amounts of paranoia and anxiety in some users
*Loss of coordination and distorted sense of time while under the influence
*Impairment of short-term memory in some users while under the influence
*Is said to increase the risk of Schizophrenia but not back up on scientific evidence
*It's illegal

Newer research has also shown that cannabis use is generally higher among sufferers of schizophrenia, but causality has not been established and confirmed that sustained early-adolescent cannabis use among certain genetically predisposed individuals has an elevated correlation with certain mental illness outcomes, ranging from psychotic episodes to clinical schizophrenia

Here is a few fact's and myth's:

MYTH: MARIJUANA IS HIGHLY ADDICTIVE. Long term marijuana users experience physical dependence and withdrawal, and often need professional drug treatment to break their marijuana habits.

FACT: Most people who smoke marijuana smoke it only occasionally. A small minority of Americans - less than 1 percent - smoke marijuana on a daily basis. An even smaller minority develop a dependence on marijuana. Some people who smoke marijuana heavily and frequently stop without difficulty. Others seek help from drug treatment professionals. Marijuana does not cause physical dependence. If people experience withdrawal symptoms at all, they are remarkably mild.

MYTH: MARIJUANA IS A GATEWAY DRUG. Even if marijuana itself causes minimal harm, it is a dangerous substance because it leads to the use of "harder drugs" like heroin, LSD, and cocaine.

FACT: Marijuana does not cause people to use hard drugs. What the gateway theory presents as a causal explanation is a statistic association between common and uncommon drugs, an association that changes over time as different drugs increase and decrease in prevalence.

MYTH: MARIJUANA KILLS BRAIN CELLS. Used over time, marijuana permanently alters brain structure and function, causing memory loss, cognitive impairment, personality deterioration, and reduced productivity.

FACT: None of the medical tests currently used to detect brain damage in humans have found harm from marijuana, even from long term high-dose use. An early study reported brain damage in rhesus monkeys after six months exposure to high concentrations of marijuana smoke. In a recent, more carefully conducted study, researchers found no evidence of brain abnormality in monkeys that were forced to inhale the equivalent of four to five marijuana cigarettes every day for a year.

MYTH: MARIJUANA CAN CAUSE PERMANENT MENTAL ILLNESS. Among adolescents, even occasional marijuana use may cause psychological damage. During intoxication, marijuana users become irrational and often behave erratically.

FACT: There is no convincing scientific evidence that marijuana causes psychological damage or mental illness in either teenagers or adults. Some marijuana users experience psychological distress following marijuana ingestion, which may include feelings of panic, anxiety, and paranoia.

MYTH: MARIJUANA IS MORE POTENT TODAY THAN IN THE PAST. Adults who used marijuana in the 1960s and 1970s fail to realize that when today's youth use marijuana they are using a much more dangerous drug.

FACT: When today's youth use marijuana, they are using the same drug used by youth in the 1960s and 1970s. A small number of low-THC sample sized by the Drug Enforcement Administration are used to calculate a dramatic increase in potency. However, these samples were not representative of the marijuana generally available to users during this era. Potency data from the early 1980s to the present are more reliable, and they show no increase in the average THC content of marijuana. Even if marijuana potency were to increase, it would not necessarily make the drug more dangerous. Marijuana that varies quite substantially in potency produces similar psychoactive effects.

IMO Marijuana should be legalized for personal use, and should go under the same law's with alcohol eg. Have to be 18+ to consume and purchase, illegal to drive while under the influence. I also believe if it is to be legalized you should be allowed to grow it your self.
The only reason why i can see marijuana still being illegal is because the government will have a hard time taxing it as many people are not going to buy it they are going to grow it.

So what are your opinion's about marijuana and do you think it should be legalized?

I got the majority of the info from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marijuana
And if you want to see the whole list of the myth's and fact's visit http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Do what you want since it doesn't affect me but I grew up with dozens of people that smoked it without fail every day for more than 10 years. Now every single one of them is mentally screwed up and in a very big way that's the only advice I have for you. Also I think it should be legal so we can see what happens when the human race goes downhill :)

qwertsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Smoking daily for 10 year's would be just like drinking everyday for 10 year's, will it mess you up? Yes. Its called drug abusing. Tho my mate's dad who is in his 40's has been a daily smoker since he was like 9 or 10 and he's doing alright.:D

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Do what you want since it doesn't affect me but I grew up with dozens of people that smoked it without fail every day for more than 10 years. Now every single one of them is mentally screwed up and in a very big way that's the only advice I have for you. Also I think it should be legal so we can see what happens when the human race goes downhill

hehe

do drugs make you crazy? or do crazy people take drugs?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I think you will find most if not everyone that smokes it long term are daily smokers (or several times a day), alcohol is just a poision that your makes your brain go spastic while it's trying to get rid of it :) thats another story, it only damages you slowly over time due to the little bits of damage it does each time you take it, it wont change who you are, only slow you down like being a boxer and getting your head bashed in once a weekend.

Marijuana on the other hand rewires your brain and it never changes back, MYTH my ass :) that's what I say

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
VP_Luke said:
hehe

do drugs make you crazy? or do crazy people take drugs?

Crazy people don't need to take drugs :) because they are allready wired up wrong from the start, like me :p

qwertsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
greenfoam said:
Marijuana on the other hand rewires your brain and it never changes back, MYTH my ass :) that's what I say

Please explaine :p I have been smoking for a few year's now, i have never done it daily and at the most it is once during the weekend. I also function normally. I can think of many more thing's what will screw your body up more than marijuana and a good example is fast food AKA Macdonald's.:thumbsup:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
qwertsta said:
Please explaine :p I have been smoking for a few year's now, i have never done it daily and at the most it is once during the weekend. I also function normally. I can think of many more thing's what will screw your body up more than marijuana and a good example is fast food AKA Macdonald's.:thumbsup:

lol you gotta be jokin me. Tell that to my uncle who has schizophrenia thanks to marijuana. It is the root of all evil when it comes to drugs.

I cant believe you just said Mcdonalds is worse for you than marijuana. Look at all the damage marijuana is doing to people at the moment... then look at wat Mcdonalds is doing... Considering how many hundreds of millions of people that eat Mcdonads every week compared to the minority that smoke marijuana...

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Opinions...ok

For starters like Greenfoam, I also have known people who abused hemp when younger and are are now suffering significant mental problems.

You may think the law is wrong and source all the pro-hemp stuff you like and side with those who want to legalise it, but the truth be known it is associated with mental disorders and thats why it's illegal.

People can ****-on experiments and studies all they like...saying things like "oh the studies dont take into account possible succeptability to metal disorders in the group before and therefore you cant say pot-smoking will cause mental problems", etc, etc. But that is really just ****-stirring in the pot, and is testamount to saying but you can't say yada yada this and that as it may be Solar/ Lunar influences which caused the effect. The truth is you can't take everything into consideration in a study. Scientists can only look for associations, the possible causes and make hypothesises until they can't be disproven in which their hypothesis then become theories or facts. But as I see it when a study of people in Sweden concluded that there was an "association" of 6 times more individuals suffering with schizophrenia that used hemp when younger compared against a group who didn't use hemp what more proof do you need ?

http://www.mth.kcl.ac.uk/~streater/cannabis.html

I got that link off one of your source links.

Last edited:

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
I have never tried it and will never as long as it is illegal

but I do believe it should be legalised and I believe it is less harmful than alcohol or nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.