Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Martial Arts & Uniform

System

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ commodore exec
great points from everyone :thumbsup:

i did karate for 3 years, now i've been doing taekwondo for 2, in karate its a (sry for spelling) Doh Gi, and for TKD a Do Bok. both are white, as Julie said, VERY hard to keep white haha, over time you get faint stains on the knees etc.

If its hot- deal with it, the harder you train in the heat the better you become. Dont complain, if your instructor tells you to do 30 pushups after a tonne of techniques- you bloody well do them haha. I've been through the same thoughts as you, but it does help.

Try a weekend training- 2, 5 hour blocks a day, non-stop.... alot of fun :D

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
So what is the tradition? other than wearing a uniform? Nobody's ever told me anything. It's not one of these traditional schools like they have in thailand, it's one of these modern schools which are meant for self defence.

It's something you'll have to pick up with your style - might even find it's one of those things that 'just is'. It is much like the belt system most forms use. I love the stuff - if only there was a place locally running it that wasn't purely interested in profit.

I get the impression you don't see the traditional ones as meant for self-defense. Tradition and self-defense can certainly be one and the same. There are however, lots of 'hack' schools out there molesting the art.

Julie - hate the white Gi. Our kids class had them for a while then went to blue. I had a range of black ones and they were fantastic (they were dedicated 2nd degree+ gi though).

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I think the words

"Toughen up princess" work well in this scenario :p

blackdoggg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
where did you teach zdk?
im going to get back into it as soon as im getting regular hours at work (at the moment it changes to frequently to commit to anything)
i used to do it as a kid, once in dromana when i was MUCH younger (like 7yo till about 10/11yo), and then began from the beginning when i was about 14 in kananook under Billy Menae. But im very keen to begin again and train properly as ive been brought up with the idea that its very good for you (not just zdk, all martial arts), not for thedefense, but for the fitness (and boy do you getthe fitness under billy's training!) and the mental discipline.
i do miss it :p even if i didnt get far second time round, was just the age i feel, around 15 everythings upside down :p well, was for me lol

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I think the words

"Toughen up princess" work well in this scenario :p

Haha... so true...

I trained martial art for about 11 years I think...

In that time I did ZDK, GKR, and SUSUMU-RYU (The one from a current affair for being to rough and dangerous... :p)

Each dojo I was at had a keen sense of tradition and thus he all wore the Gui's.

There are a few reasons for the uniform...

As said, the practical reason is that gui's can survive what you put them through...

In terms of tradition... in the styles I was in they are like a belt... I was shattered when I damaged a gui because of all the stuff it had been through with me... sweat blood and tears.

Also... when you punch and kick with enough speed you begin to get a wipe like crack... which sounds impressive when a whole dojo of people acheive this... :p

If you don't like it... then don't do it... wearing a gui shows commitment to the club and to the sport.

That's my opinion anyway...

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Hmm... thanks for the replies guys. It has made me think bout it. Maybe I'll ask him to get a fan instead hehe. nah I wouldn't do that. Had great time last night, did some sparring with a southport guy.. mann thats weird aye. He's like the only person southport in my school. Got a few hits to the head cause forgot he's punching with the other hand haha.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Can anyone tell me some good brands of gloves? I was looking at some RDX grappling gloves or the Warrior MMA gloves. Which would be a better choice?

Juztin

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS UTE Auto
As you said mate, you've only been in for 3months you'll get over it and your body will adapt =]

Muay Thai on the otherhand where we wear singlets and sick fight shorts =P, we still die from heat.

Doesn't matter if its traditional or not, respect and honour come with most uniforms you just wont realize it yet =]

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
where did you teach zdk?
im going to get back into it as soon as im getting regular hours at work (at the moment it changes to frequently to commit to anything)
i used to do it as a kid, once in dromana when i was MUCH younger (like 7yo till about 10/11yo), and then began from the beginning when i was about 14 in kananook under Billy Menae. But im very keen to begin again and train properly as ive been brought up with the idea that its very good for you (not just zdk, all martial arts), not for thedefense, but for the fitness (and boy do you getthe fitness under billy's training!) and the mental discipline.
i do miss it :p even if i didnt get far second time round, was just the age i feel, around 15 everythings upside down :p well, was for me lol

Taught down south-west vic. I did train with Billy at a couple of training days in Melbourne when Steve Nedelkos used to run them. No idea what happened to him but he was great to work with. Been a long time......

Can anyone tell me some good brands of gloves? I was looking at some RDX grappling gloves or the Warrior MMA gloves. Which would be a better choice?

3 months in i wouldn't be too worried. Your instructor will tell you what is suitable. I'd never have had anything too heavy or close to boxing gloves because of the genuine 'freestyle' about it - needed to still be able to work grabs etc. I usually only trained with training mitts but by the end i was able to pull punches up pretty close and trusted the people i worked with so we bareback at times. That's a surreal experience the first few times.

System

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ commodore exec
Also... when you punch and kick with enough speed you begin to get a wipe like crack... which sounds impressive when a whole dojo of people acheive this... :p

lol yeah i love that sound too the 'flick' of the sleeves and legs when you do your thing :thumbsup: