Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Martial Arts & Uniform

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
There should really be a whinge section :thumbsup:

My whinge for today:

I do freestyle martial arts and we have to wear uniform (black jacket and black pants), I see the point of having a "uniform" to show who taught us and stuff ... but why does it have to be long jackets and long pants?!

Stupid traditional things ... meh ... muay thai aint got long jackets n long pants ... they got like signlets n short shorts :p

If no one has noticed ... we live in Australia... were it gets hot!! theres like 20 of us running/fighting/training in this small room (something like 7M by 10M (im not good at estimating, but u get the point)) with no aircon/fans!!

What is wrong with people these days! :cry: Is it some sort of test? too see who is willing to die in this room for the school or something. At the end of each session ... it's like you went for a swim.

Nyway ... thats my rant for today :thumbsup:

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
How long have you been doing it? I used to teach freestyle ZDK for Bob Jones and i'd be fairly unimpressed if someone had such little respect for the tradition because they didn't want to get hot or took issue to how they looked.
The reason i asked how long you have been at it is simply because if you gave a **** about the style and the tradition you wouldn't question it.

Tradition aside, it makes for far more effective training when you can practice grabs and throws on something that won't rip - sure in real life a person will be wearing something regular but no one wants to lose a t-shirt each week at training because it gets ripped or out of shape. I've trained at a level where we wore some fairly enormous flowing pants that looked a whole lot like a dress - it was part of the katana/sword training and gave it particular meaning.

Maybe freestyle martial arts isn't for you.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
How long have you been doing it? I used to teach freestyle ZDK for Bob Jones and i'd be fairly unimpressed if someone had such little respect for the tradition because they didn't want to get hot or took issue to how they looked.
The reason i asked how long you have been at it is simply because if you gave a **** about the style and the tradition you wouldn't question it.

Tradition aside, it makes for far more effective training when you can practice grabs and throws on something that won't rip - sure in real life a person will be wearing something regular but no one wants to lose a t-shirt each week at training because it gets ripped or out of shape. I've trained at a level where we wore some fairly enormous flowing pants that looked a whole lot like a dress - it was part of the katana/sword training and gave it particular meaning.

Maybe freestyle martial arts isn't for you.

Sorry, I don't mean to disrespect. I've been training for about 3 months now. I also do Jujitsu and MMA. I do 4 nights a week of martial arts. In freestyle we don't do grabs and throws, but I see your point in Jujitsu about the ripping of shirts etc.

I don't get why you'd say freestyle martial arts isn't for me... because I don't like the GI. I respect my sensai and I respect my school and others.

Tell me what the uniform means to you. Maybe I'll see a different side to it. I just learnt that it benefits in Jujitsu. I don't see how a uniform changes the way you see the tradition/sensai or students. For example, religion .. because you don't pray every day or go to church every day means you shouldn't belong to a certain religion? even though you still believe all of the rest?

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
What type of freestyle is it? because me blabbing on about ZDK might be worthless.

The reason i suggest that it might not be for you is that you are already questioning aspects of it at such an early stage in your training.
If it's freestyle you will do grabs and throws at some stage.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Its just part of being in martial arts and you just have to put up with it, its tradition. Some of the asian countries where different martial arts originate have far more extreme temperatures than we have to endure here. It will help with your conditioning too. I wish my daughter got to wear a black uniform, do you have any idea how hard it is keeping a white uniform clean when they spend half the lesson on the floor lol. If its something you really feel strongly about maybe have a firendly word to your head instructor and suggest they adopt a training shirt, they can only say no. My daughter's lucky, they are allowed club training shirts and only have to wear full uniform for grading.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
What type of freestyle is it? because me blabbing on about ZDK might be worthless.

The reason i suggest that it might not be for you is that you are already questioning aspects of it at such an early stage in your training.
If it's freestyle you will do grabs and throws at some stage.

Ah my bad, didn't realise you said ZDK.

Quoted from the website of my school - Freestyle - This class is designed for street defence with a combination of Kickboxing, Boxing, Thai boxing and the use of some Karate technique. Adding Jujitsu which covers every defence you can think of.

So I don't know which style you'd say it would be. But thats it. Don't do much jujitsu in that class tho because we have a specific jujitsu class. Therefore we don't do throws (because most of them can't do breakfalls) or grabs.

So what is the tradition? other than wearing a uniform? Nobody's ever told me anything. It's not one of these traditional schools like they have in thailand, it's one of these modern schools which are meant for self defence.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Its just part of being in martial arts and you just have to put up with it, its tradition. Some of the asian countries where different martial arts originate have far more extreme temperatures than we have to endure here. It will help with your conditioning too. I wish my daughter got to wear a black uniform, do you have any idea how hard it is keeping a white uniform clean when they spend half the lesson on the floor lol. If its something you really feel strongly about maybe have a firendly word to your head instructor and suggest they adopt a training shirt, they can only say no. My daughter's lucky, they are allowed club training shirts and only have to wear full uniform for grading.

Haha, white. I feel slightly better :yeah:

I'm not going to stop going to martial arts over it, I was just pointing out that I wasn't a fan of the uniform. Geeez, not even allowed a opinion these days. In my MMA I once had a white tank on ... wow did that get dirty! XD In MMA we were shorts/boardies and a t-shirt. Generally wear black boardies and black tank.

The same Sensai teaches Freestyle and MMA, so... in Freestyle he'd care and MMA he doesn't?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
Its very specific to the martial arts tradition you follow. Mainly cos it is exactly that, a tradition.

Martial arts is about hurting people, most often quite badly.

So obviously a large amount of what they teach is based around discipline and self-control. You need to respect and adhere to the traditions if you want to master/advance in martial arts.

vlv8vic was pointing out that it might not be for you cos your showing doubt/distrust and a lack of faith/dedication.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Its very specific to the martial arts tradition you follow. Mainly cos it is exactly that, a tradition.

Martial arts is about hurting people, most often quite badly.

So obviously a large amount of what they teach is based around discipline and self-control. You need to respect and adhere to the traditions if you want to master/advance in martial arts.

vlv8vic was pointing out that it might not be for you cos your showing doubt/distrust and a lack of faith/dedication.

I'm not doubting anything though, I know the things my sensai teaches is great. If I doubted I wouldn't be there 4 time a week. I am dedicated, yes I've only been there 3 months but I enjoy going there and sure I'll be there for a long time to come. Maybe if I said his techniques and teaching methods were lousy, it would be a different matter, but it's the cloths I wear which I had a slight problem (which doesn't affect anything), and only reason is I find it uncomfortable.

FirstVR_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
RALLIART Magna
Hey there, your gi is worn for the pupose of training... vlv8vic expained it all very well for you. Your gi aids in your application of techniques and and of course there is the tradition of the unifom .... when you put it on all else should be forgotten about your day and concentrate on training only. Congradulations on choosing a martial art.. if you are in a good school you will become a better person.

If it gets too hot... which it probably does sometimes.... it will only aid in your stamina and abitlity to handle an uncomfortable situation .... happy training.