Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Martial Arts

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Hey guys,

I've recently started back at Tae kwon do (stopped 10 yrs ago). As well as starting fresh in Hapkido.

Im keen to see if anyone here does any form of martial arts. i've set-up a little template that'll help on your first post.

Martial Art: Taekwondo & Hapkido
Time Training: Previously trained taekwondo for 4 yrs. I've been back for 2.5 weeks
Belt Held: Taekwondo - Yellow 1 (graded last friday) Hapkido - White Belt (ill be grading 24th of may)
What made you choose that martial art?: Parents put me taekwondo to be more confident in myself. i started back as i saw it as a good way to get fit and ive always been keen to go back and finish what i started and get my Black Belt. I chose Hapkido as some friends had trained in it and i liked what they'd shown me.

I hope to hear from some of you.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Martial Art: Kenpo (Full contact).
Time Training: 14 years on and off.
Belt Held: 3rd Dan Black (3rd generation Ed Parker).
What made you choose that martial art?: Wanted to learn how to fight properly rather than just fitness which is what most martial arts are derived from and I like to use weapons sometimes when gouging your eye out isn't enough.

Here's a cool video of Vic LeRoux who I have trained with. He has a firm hand shake and a glassy black stare.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z9ChtfyM_k[/video]

Last edited:

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Martial Art: Drinking
Time Training: frequently since about 15 or so
Belt Held: black belt in Funnels and Tequlia shots.
What made you choose that martial art?: Parents, various past girlfriends..

Also have a black belt in Chinese cooking, but that's a different story.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Martial Art: muay thai
Time Training: 12 months
Belt Held: still ungraded. was ready to grade but i burned my leg pretty badly (2nd degree to 400mm of my right leg) the day before the grading so missed out :(
What made you choose that martial art?: gym is 5 min walk from my house. i was also pretty overweight and heard that muay thai was a pretty hardcore cardio workout. first session was free and i was hooked immediatly. one excuse for stopping was that i was riding my bike on weekends and training twice a week, and dropped down to 75kg... couldnt eat enough food to keep weight on so i thought rather than drop riding, id drop muay thai which was more expensive. ill probably head back when my impala is nearer to completetion since its too cold/wet to ride now. most nearby trails close in winter.

the feeling you get walking home after a hard training session, especially after a good spar... its like your floating. mad. love it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Martial Art: Aikido
Time Training: 11 years
Belt Held: 3rd dan black
What made you choose that martial art?: after looking into a lot of different arts, I liked three things most about Aikido. First, there is a focus on preserving the well-being of an attacker. You can disable them without causing them harm or injury. And second, the spirituality and training of the mind. I'd never done anything like that but found it enlightening and great for managing general stresses of life. Third was no real need to develop significant strength. You use the strength and momentum of an attacker against them. One other thing was that it's Steven Segal's martial art and he's always been a big tall guy and was impressive with his skills so thought that'd suit me.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Martial Art: Karate
Time Training: About 4 years but haven't done it for about 15 years
Belt Held: Red (4th Kyu)
What made you choose that martial art?: Salesman rocked up to my parents place one day, they thought I might like it so I gave it a go. I dunno why I quit, I think I just got slack and over it. I've have thought about doing it again but that's as far as I've gone with it.

profat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt olympic model
Martial Art: Karate
Time Training: 15 years
Belt Held: Black
What made you choose that martial art?: Was to fat for jute kun do....no aikido dojo's around....was not a popular combatant in judo.....and karate seemed to suit.

Had a great sensei who sadly passed away and work commitments kept me to busy to keep up further training

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Good to see some other martial arts practitioners out there.

I have my Hapkido Grading this saturday.

I'm going for Yellow Belt, Bring it on.

I also went down to the Gold Coast Open (taekwondo) on saturday to watch some students from my club compete.

It was a fun day, i'd never watched full Olympic Fighting style taekwondo bouts before.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Martial Art: Combat Ju Jitsu. Incorporates alot of Wing Tsun Kung Fu as well
Time Training: 6 years
Belt Held: Purple
What made you choose that martial art?: It's reality based. Not a martial art but more just scenario based self defense class

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Just started up Brazillian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ)
Love it, i can tell its going to be awesome.
The hands on training defenitely attracts me to it, you aren't just kicking a paddle, or sparring light, or doing the moves with space between you and your partner.
It's full contact going for the submission/dominant possission during a roll from day one.