Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Massive water consumption and hot temperatures!

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
A woman at work has got a VT 6cyl,she also had a problem where she was constantly putting a few litres in each day before she left to go home,popped the bonnet in the arvo,absolutely no leaks.When I had a look,the engine bay reaked of coolant, what it was, when she was coming to work in the morning she had the heater on and in the arvo (purely out of habit)she would turn the heater dial back to cold,start the car up and replenish the lost water,but when I asked her to leave the heater on hot,there it was plain as day,the heater tap had a hairline fracture and as the pressure built up it was spraying coolant out down towards the chassis and being hot from the engine in the morning it would evaporate by the afternoon,leaving almost no tell tale sign of ever being wet,I got her to watch while I turned the heater from hot to cold and the bastard stopped and started leaking with each turn,she couldnt believe it.New tap solved the problem

vanq69er

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
A woman at work has got a VT 6cyl,she also had a problem where she was constantly putting a few litres in each day before she left to go home,popped the bonnet in the arvo,absolutely no leaks.When I had a look,the engine bay reaked of coolant, what it was, when she was coming to work in the morning she had the heater on and in the arvo (purely out of habit)she would turn the heater dial back to cold,start the car up and replenish the lost water,but when I asked her to leave the heater on hot,there it was plain as day,the heater tap had a hairline fracture and as the pressure built up it was spraying coolant out down towards the chassis and being hot from the engine in the morning it would evaporate by the afternoon,leaving almost no tell tale sign of ever being wet,I got her to watch while I turned the heater from hot to cold and the bastard stopped and started leaking with each turn,she couldnt believe it.New tap solved the problem

Wow nice find, his v6 has had the heater removed but it cant hurt to try and move the slide. If not, I will remember this for future reference! Thanks for the tip

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
have you replaced the radiator cap as these can look and feel good but still be stuffed (just a thought) as you haven't mentioned it in your posts

krzyvs

Stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 2 spac/vp exec
dont forget the heater valve tap

M

magnumv8

Not sure if this will help but I had a similar problem with my old B2600-there was a hose that ran over the inlet manifold that had sprung a leak-in the end it cost me a engine-there was no sign of radiator fluid as it was evaporating as soon as it hit the engine......

Another one-if the heater has been removed I guess it has had the hoses bypassed or plugged-possibly that could be something to check.

vncruzr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
mate where abouts are you located? if near western suburbs vic..i can take a look....