Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Master Cylinder Fittings

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by holden1, Nov 8, 2012.

1. holden1

holden1 ı.н8.υ.

Members Ride:
    VL Berlina/VL Calais
    Ive upgrade the brakes in my VL, so it now has a VT master cylinder fitted. Problem is, the flares on the brake lines of the VL ate different to a VT, so they won't seal properly into the master cylinder.

I've looked everywhere, searched, etc, can't find anything. I'm going to double ball flare my lines so they suit the master cylinder, though I need the sizes and thread pitch of the three nuts that screw in. I know the two front lines are the same size, and the rear is slightly larger. I've heard of them being 3/16 and 1/4 in size, but apart from that, I have nothing else.

Does anyone know of a place that actually deals in flare-nuts that are a direct replacement of these factory nuts? If I knew the type of thread these adapters had, and had confirmation on the nut size, I could easily buy replacements. The nut size probably wouldn't even matter, aslong as the thread is right and the sleeve is the right size for the lines.

Really in a bit of a situation here. I've rang around, and they eithe don't want to help me, or they have no idea. Speedflow can help me, though I have to buy their adapters to screw into the cylinder which converts the female threads into male, and then buy their flare-nuts to suit. But even so, Speedflow need to know what thread and size adapters I need to screw into the cylinder, which they don't know (surprise surprise), and neither do I. Brake shops around here have basically told me that unless I bring the car into them, they can't "legally" sell me what I need (bullshit).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Could go all out and swap over the whole lines, as VP and onwards use the same flare type as VT, but my God, I don't want to make a big job out of something that can easily be fixed. Don't exactly want to trailer the car down to a shop that's gonna bullshit me either. Joys of living in the middle of nowhere.

2. holden1

holden1 ı.н8.υ.

Members Ride:
    VL Berlina/VL Calais
    Ok, so obviously this isn't a common problem.

I've found the information I need, just in case anyone else needs it.

Two front threads are M10x1.0 on a 3/16 tube, back thread is M12x1.0 on a 3/16 tube.

qwigybo likes this.
  3. OddmodSimmo

OddmodSimmo New Member

Members Ride:
    Vtss torana projects vb-vh and corty racecars
    Cheers mate I know it's a old post but as you found out it's not exactly common knowledge because factory is more than enough for majority of builds but hard to find info on if ya want to piece together yourself. hey ya could have sacraficed the lines you did have and chopped them for the nuts to either use on your lines or even taken to get the adapters needed. I have a full mix and mash up of odd bits I'm trying to find the correct specs of at the minute and your info is helpful to me and long as I work out the exact lines you are talking about here hahaha. If not helpful it's what is on another project and I can work out what's what anyway hahaha. I have vl lines to willwood rear calipers and either corty or vl left front caliper on the highly modified corty racecar I'm working on now hahaha a bitsa hahahaha