Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] Match your original key to a replacement ignition lock for VN VR VT VX

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
Hi people,
I have my ignition barrel in front of me.
The thing I didn't do was right down what number wafer went where. I've narrowed it down, the keys works fine, but with 2 wafers left out of 10, so 8 are in place and working.
How do I know where to put the other 2, some how can I measure up the wafer to the grooves in the key?

Cheers Pete

CookedSock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais, VP Berlina
Unfortunately now that the photos are gone above, I went searching for a video on how to replace and rekey a Commodore ignition lock.

The video says for VZ Commodore, however the instructions worked the same for my VS. Hope this helps others!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I did this this arvo.
If I had to do it again, it wouldn't take long. Maybe 30-40mins.

I did take a few hours first go. Kids and cups of tea made things take a while. Took it easy and also used this video to do the job.

There is another vid that shows to flick down the steering lock pin once the barrel is removed, so its easy as to re-instal.

I'll add some of my photos later and this time they won't disappear.

#VN #VP #VR #VS #VT #VX #VY #VZ are all using the same barrel (or version there of) from what I can tell from eBay images.

I also replaced the ignition switch and cleaned up the contact ring.

New how to with photos:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vn-vz-ignition-repair.280251/

Last edited: