Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Matte clear coat?

WhiteSv6Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sidi Sv6 Ute
Hi guys i saw in a street commodores magazine the other day a matte green ve ute which was supercharged and all that but what got me was he said it was made matte buy just getting a matte clear coat over the top and if this is true what would be the cost? to just get a matte clear coat sprayed on over the top or is it more to it then just adding it on top of the factory clear coat?

any info would be great espeacialy someone in the industry :)

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Yes you can just sand it down and put matte clear on in a perfect world. But it depends on the condition of your car. So basically it's the same deal as flow coating. If you rub through anything more colour has to be applied. Very rarely will you find a car that doesn't need any repairs, unless it's straight off the showroom floor (even then it's not always the case IMO)

Taking care of a matte colour is very annoying too. If it's your daily I would not recommend it. Once you have a matte colour on your car you can never polish it ever.

That's just my 2c. Price will depend on allot on the condition of your car.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
id do a matt clear wrap, so if you dont like it just peel it off...

dsuth77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS A6 UTE
Just do a plasti dip full spray in whatever colour/pearl/chameleon you want (if your paint doesn't have deep scratches)
I've been quoted $850.Should last for 2 years or more if you look after it. Just peel it off when you want.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
my brother just paid $1000 for a matt clear coat over an XP falcon that was rescued from 20 years in a paddock, was scotchbrite'd and cleared