Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Matt's ZB RS-V wagon long term review

SteveRSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
I've only ever owned one other car that had a warranty, an FG XR8. The local Ford dealer was horrible to deal with. It was as though all costs came out of the Service Managers own pocket.
On this occasion with the RSV, the Holden dealer looked at it on the spot , and ordered the bits straight away. No fuss.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Just been thinking again about the auto lane keep and for want of a better term 'crash alert' features...

Not overly impressed with auto lane keeping on any car I've actually driven myself:
- Worst ever was a current model (hire car) Corolla where this function rendered the car almost undriveable, constantly tugging at the wheel, and becoming confused if for example an overtaking lane were to run out. Needless to say turned it off.
- ZB not as bad as this, but have done a number of tests involving removing my hands from the wheel (only just removed) to see what it would do, and on at least one in three occasions the system would fail to recognise that the car was changing lanes, or wandering off the road. On the other hand it would also from time to time try to make unnecessary corrections which is quite distracting and tiring. Makes it feel like a worn steering rack and too much negative camber...
- Had a ride a few months back in a late model midsize Mercedes Diesel taxi where the system worked perfectly, driver could take his hands off the wheel for extended periods whilst doing 70 in the left lane with only about 50 cms either side of the car, and trees only a metre to the left, and it would remain exactly in the middle of the lane with no input whatsoever from him.
- Which brings me to the question, if the 'system' makes more mistakes than I do, is it really providing a safety backup, or just a false, and annoying sense of security??? I just turn it off and don't lose any sleep since it is still better than the Corolla, and not as pricey as the Merc - but hopefully ANCAP aren't giving out extra points for imaginary safety?

The 'crash alert' or whatever its called seems quite good, eg. flashes up a warning if it appears I might be closing too quickly on another car or eg. pedestrian, and seems to go off appropriately, so kudos for this. I drive fairly sensibly so it doesn't go off to often :)

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Oh, and an update on the seats. A while back I commented that the lumbar support wasn't really at the correct height, and had even resorted briefly to slipping a small piece of sheepskin between the seat and my back on long trips. But having had the car for about 4500 kms it seems the seat as settled nicely around my back and is great now, no need to dial up some lumbar support. Probably a good sign - if it took that long to settle its not made of lightweight foam, and should be good for a while to come :)

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
Oh, and an update on the seats. A while back I commented that the lumbar support wasn't really at the correct height, and had even resorted briefly to slipping a small piece of sheepskin between the seat and my back on long trips. But having had the car for about 4500 kms it seems the seat as settled nicely around my back and is great now, no need to dial up some lumbar support. Probably a good sign - if it took that long to settle its not made of lightweight foam, and should be good for a while to come :)
Mate hired one in Darwin reckons the driver aids drove him nuts. And it used a full tank of fuel in less than 300ks. Wasn’t impressed

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Tuckerbag's mate must have hired a ZB to do trips so short he could have walked. I've not run mine dry but I'm sure it can go at least 60 litres between tanks, so per Tuckerbag's mate must be using 20 litres per 100 km. I got around 17 litres per 100 km on a tight engine doing 10 km round trips. So Tuckerbag's mate presumably did 50 by 6 km trips, or thereabouts, to record such terrible consumption. In which case a pushbike or an I20 would have been a more suitable conveyance.

Or maybe Tuckerbag is hoping to get a good deal on a lowly ZB so he can keep the kms down on his admittedly desirable Clubsport, and figures if he hangs around and shitcans other people's cars the market will collapse and he can clean up?

Or maybe even more likely Tuckerbag is in fact a closet ZB enthusiast, and would be happy to trade 60 or 70 kw and drift potential for AWD and heated seats and fuel savings, but the dealer only offered him $8k trade in on his Clubbie? I simply cannot believe that a 6 litre v8 with a 6speed auto (or manual) will use less fuel than a 3.6 litre V6 with a 9 speed auto with a CD of 0.28 or thereabouts in the long term....

Tuckerbag and I probably agree about the driver aids though, just not really needed, and can't afford to be relied on. What would happen if you crashed your car and told the insurance company "I wasn't really concentrating but I figured the car would take care of things"...

kos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Lt
Maybe Tuckerbag should contact Barton’s Holden Capalaba Brisbane. They have approx 50 MY19 RS Commodores starting at 23990.

Possibly with a trade in on Tuckerbags VR? VS? Or is it a VN the change over cost might be okay.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Maybe Tuckerbag should contact Barton’s Holden Capalaba Brisbane. They have approx 50 MY19 RS Commodores starting at 23990.

Possibly with a trade in on Tuckerbags VR? VS? Or is it a VN the change over cost might be okay.
Wonder where these came from at such low kms?
Part of the "special" rental fleet?
Ex staff?
"Sold/registered" to make the figures look better?

edit: @tuckerbag better be quick before they all go.

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
when someone says a "Mate reckons this or that ", I'm immediately skeptical .

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

* Slaps thread * You fit so many salesman into a ZB forum.

kos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Lt
No Fu Man Chu I m not a salesman just a delivery driver!