Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Matt's ZB RS-V wagon long term review

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
The ZB does nearly everything right, the 3.6 is a pleasure to drive, the liftback is a good feature.

I have other late model GM/Opel cars as well and have found them very relaxing to drive especially the way the car remembers the cruise control setting from the previous drive. I sound like a future GMSV owner.

Not sure GMSV will ever do a new commodore replacement, even bringing a CTS-V in seems a longshot, and would be mega bucks.
I can't see them lasting as is only offering a huge truck and eventually the corvette.

Long term I think they'll move into restoration and maybe even resto-modding old HSVs (a la Alfaholics, Singer etc). Some people would pay big money for a modernised VZ Monaro.

Fredbasset

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais 2.0 DT
I will be interested in your opinion of the PS4's.
I have a set on my VX Commodore. Initially they were very quiet (the main reason I bought them), but I found unless they were run at 40PSI or above, they had an impact on fuel consumption.
Now, as they are about 40% worn they are as noisy as any cheaper tyre. Deflating them to about 34PSI (R) 38PSI (F) helps but then they have that impact on fuel consumtion - and performance - not handling, performance..
But there's nothing I have ever tried (50+years of motoring) that comes close in cornering! Wet and dry, they are fantastic - even as worn as they are.
So far, I find the PS4 to be noisier (vs CSC5) when rolling below 80 kph. Above this speed, both tyres seem to have similar noise level. But PS4 seems to have better grip when cornering fast&wet and does not feel as "numb" on the steering wheel. PS4 seems marginally worse off in fuel consumption dept. Not sure whether they are lasting - only time will tell. I got my PS4 at $190 per tyre (+ install) during some Tyroola sale. The same CSC5 tyres were going for $185 per tyre. Another tyre worth considering would be the Goodyear Sports Assymmetric 5 (back then at $170 per tyre) - aside from price, they grip very well (I had them on my other car) but not sure how much mileage you can get out of them.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Thanks for the reply Fred. Interesting you noted the fuel economy hit as I did. The car just feels as if the handbrake is on. Sluggish.
I had what was probably the older version of the Good Years on the Commodore before the PS4's. But that would have meant I bought them a long time ago. I was getting 90,000 out of the Good Years or the Dunlops in those days. But when I was working I was only doing about 20,000 k's a year.
Now I am retired, I dont know how far I drive per year.
Still. we are comparing a modern car with modern suspension (your's) vs my 20 year old design... Apples and pears.

Redlinejimmy

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS-V Sportswagon
So far, I find the PS4 to be noisier (vs CSC5) when rolling below 80 kph. Above this speed, both tyres seem to have similar noise level. But PS4 seems to have better grip when cornering fast&wet and does not feel as "numb" on the steering wheel. PS4 seems marginally worse off in fuel consumption dept. Not sure whether they are lasting - only time will tell. I got my PS4 at $190 per tyre (+ install) during some Tyroola sale. The same CSC5 tyres were going for $185 per tyre. Another tyre worth considering would be the Goodyear Sports Assymmetric 5 (back then at $170 per tyre) - aside from price, they grip very well (I had them on my other car) but not sure how much mileage you can get out of them.
I recently put Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 ‘s on mine and absolutely love them.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Some people would pay big money for a modernised VZ Monaro.

A modernised VZ Monaro ? Hmmm.
Would that include fitting a 1.0 litre 3 cyl turbo hybrid engine, (plus a synthetic V8 8,000rpm soundtrack) with stop/start, auto braking, lane keeping, adaptive cruise control, collision avoidance radar, driver awareness sensors, traffic sign recognition, and a huge computer screen stuck to the dash obscuring your vision so that you will require all those aids and a Uni degree to sit in the 'drivers' seat.
Can’t wait to see it. :cool:

But I do agree that 'somebody' should start a drive-in / drive out restoration business, as opposed to the restoration of barn find relics that cost $squillion$.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Just an (uneventful) update

Just hit 20,000 kms and had third service done. No issues so far. Good points include tyres maybe half worn and brakes only about 30 % from what I can see. And not using any oil.

Have fallen into the habit of selecting via console switches SPORT on, AUTO STOP off, LANE KEEPING off given:

- Car feels a lot livelier in SPORT, and makes me wonder whether the economy, or non sport mode, is just a gimmick to get around fuel economy tests for marketing purposes? Doesn't make much difference to actual economy, or perhaps would need to drive exactly the same as a factory test driver, or grandpa, for it to work. Not much point buying a relatively large engine car and then hobbling it.

- Auto stop wasn't activating that much anyway, but seems a good way to wear out starter motor while saving a negligible amount of fuel. Similar for most new cars I imagine.

- Lane keeping seems very hit and miss, probably similar on most new cars. There really should be some kind of 'standard' for these systems, i.e. it has to make the right decision at least 95 % of the time, otherwise all it does is increase driver fatigue....

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Thanks for sharing Matt. I find the same thing with lane keep and auto-stop, PITA and turn them off every time while waiting a few seconds for the oil to circulate before driving off. Same as you, no oil consumption at all and I have done 30,000 km's now.

I think like most cars these days the automatic gearbox is programmed for maximum fuel efficiency and having a 9 speed box probably exacerbates the sense that its hunting for maximum economy. Normally I am quite happy with the standard auto setting but after reading your post I might try hitting the sport button more often.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Have fallen into the habit of selecting via console switches SPORT on

@MattSAU2XR8 if you go into the vehicle settings in the infotainment do you have the option to set the car into the mode whose name escapes me where it will automatically switch between sport and normal mode depending on various driving parameters?

Or is that a VXR only thing? Personally I never use Sport mode because I have VXR.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Thanks for posting Matt.
Appreciate your taking the time.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Lane keeping seems very hit and miss, probably similar on most new cars. There really should be some kind of 'standard' for these systems, i.e. it has to make the right decision at least 95 % of the time, otherwise all it does is increase driver fatigue....
The VF lane departure warning was spawned by the devil as it always thinks I’m running off the road on a particular bend :eek: If it can’t be 100%, it should shut up :p:p:p

Reactions: Lex