Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Matt's ZB RS-V wagon long term review

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Just a brief update about fuel economy. Still pretty ordinary around town, 13 litres per 100 km at average speed of 24 km/h and short runs. But went for a drive in the country and now sitting on 5.9 litres per 100 kms at 110 km/h consistently. Can only assume the engine was a bit tight and has finally loosened up a little and able to drop a few cylinders now. Pleased about this. While it was in the 8 to 9 range not a lot better than any older cars. But now for long trips almost in hybrid Camry territory :)

HungryFIG JAM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 and ZB RS-V Wagon
Still as happy with the purchase as when you got it?
I've had my rsv wagon for a week now and still loving it. My foot is too heavy for the fuel consumption though.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Still happy. Usually after a few years of ownership I start thinking about what I could eventually replace it with. But at present there doesn't really seem to be anything on the horizon. Only way now to get a 200+ kw wagon is a Skoda Superb that would be well over $50k and involve a DSG gearbox. So planning on keeping this for a bit longer...

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Only way now to get a 200+ kw wagon is a Skoda Superb that would be well over $50k and involve a DSG gearbox.

Have you driven one? They are even bigger on the inside than the ZB. After driving one back to back with my VXR the experience wasn't worth $15k+ more of my money and in several areas (gearbox smoothness at low speeds, aesthetics) it wasn't as good as the VXR. It is a pretty rapid car though, the EA888 engine feels really strong throughout the rev range. Looking at the acceleration times it's a second faster than the ZB 0-100km/h. But for me it suffers from that insulated feeling you get from VAG cars when you drive them hard which was the real kicker.

I'll be keeping mine until we are forced to buy electric because petrol costs more than houses.

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Probably a bit late here but I sat in my first ZB (wagon) today as a passenger to the airport. Was actually a quite nice car I thought, quiet and smooth.

Trevb54

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS-V
The Bose systems with sub are only in the VXR and Calais V and they do have a separate amp in the boot. The RS-V sub is not a sub (apparantly) it is for noise cancellation .. Its somehow linked to the tiny little speakers in the roof head lining under front grab handles...? That's what my dealer told me. They had the workshop manual out. They reckon the brochure /website must have a typo saying 8 speakers!
I was told the same thing. Not sure how that works though. I know reverse frequency and all.

HungryFIG JAM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 and ZB RS-V Wagon
I was told the same thing. Not sure how that works though. I know reverse frequency and all.
After the disappointment of finding out its not a sub (not much disappointment, I had quiet a large system to transfer from my VZ SV6 that brings all the bass) we did some tests, it seems to make the exhaust noises better in cab.

Still considering replacing it with a small amp and sub though, just so I can have bass AND room in the back, 4x 12" takes up about 80% of the space until I get off my ass and build a box to suit the car.

For those of you that like the big bass systems, I have found the front window to be very flexible and cause a lot of rattle at the plastic that is where the mirror attaches, and the mirror its self isn't very stable with out gluing it in place or something.

Installing was very simple (thanks to Stooge on here for his post) just tapped into the speaker wires above the pedals and ran the rca cable right down the side to the boot, waiting the amp was simple with the battery in the boot, I used a quick release clip from jaycar so I can remove the whole system in less then 2 minutes.

The design of the wagon gives some great air movement, easily hiting 5-10db more then in my previous vz (was a sedan)

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Another fuel economy update. Alice Springs to Tennant Creek. 500 km at mostly 134 km/h, or 138 indicated. Car loaded up with luggage etc. Aircon set to 16 c. Likely at least some headwind as most days tending northerly. 8.9 litres per 100 km or ULP 91 calculated from fuel receipts. So it seems no longer dropping to 3 cylinders at this speed and obviously exponentially more drag at 130 than 110... As per above can get down to 5.9 at 110 km/h. Not that I'd be slowing down to save $6 per hour...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Interesting whether the ZB's would be reliable in the long run...

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Definitely not as reliable as a Camry. And warranty not as good as eg. a Stinger. But I can’t see any reason for it to be LESS reliable than a VE or Vf.... Aussie made Holdens and Fords were great value in terms of bang for buck but probably not the benchmark for reliability. I think ZBs will probably end up being like grey import Skylines and Stageas - good value to buy, reasonably reliable, sometimes need to order less common parts from wreckers or Ebay or Rockauto. Who are usually cheaper than local dealers anyway, i’d be surprised if I could not find any given part for at least 10 years