Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Matt's ZB RS-V wagon long term review

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
In a covid world car prices have surprisingly firmed up. I saw a 2019 VXR in a sales yard selling for almost as much as I paid for mine with less kms on the clock. At the time I bought mine I fully expected depreciation to absolutely smash the value of my car, but it hasn't really happened yet.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Interesting whether the ZB's would be reliable in the long run...

mines a 2018 and still goes hard, i generally drive it like i stole it and i service it every 6 months or 7000km, it is a daily driver that does 100km+ a day mon to fri.
the only issue i have had is leaky aircon seals which cost something like $260 to fix + regas.

HungryFIG JAM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 and ZB RS-V Wagon
mines a 2018 and still goes hard, i generally drive it like i stole it and i service it every 6 months or 7000km, it is a daily driver that does 100km+ a day mon to fri.
the only issue i have had is leaky aircon seals which cost something like $260 to fix + regas.
Glad to hear, this seems to be the default setting of how mines driven. ECV incoming

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega

How many km's does your ZB have?

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Okay, its got a decent amount but not enough for anything serious to go wrong... Are timing chains a problem on these engines as well, since they are fairly similar to the VZ/VE/VF engine?

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I think the timing chain issue was sorted some time ago. While there might still be the odd problem I think it has been largely addressed and hasn't been the problem it was on the early versions of the HFV6 engine.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Okay, its got a decent amount but not enough for anything serious to go wrong... Are timing chains a problem on these engines as well, since they are fairly similar to the VZ/VE/VF engine?

the timing chain issue was only present in the early ve engine because of a dodgy part used, the vf engine has no issue with them and so far there has been no reports of timing chain issues in the lgx(zb) variant of engine which has been in production since 2016.

it is still young at 87thou and i have no idea if it will make 300/400 but so far everything is ok but time will tell.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
the timing chain issue was only present in the early ve engine because of a dodgy part used, the vf engine has no issue with them and so far there has been no reports of timing chain issues in the lgx(zb) variant of engine which has been in production since 2016.

it is still young at 87thou and i have no idea if it will make 300/400 but so far everything is ok but time will tell.

Though not as common, I've heard reports of VF timing chains failing but these are higher km ones... I have a friend who owns a VE with the 3.0L engine and he's had to replace his timing chain at around 130,000km... If you maintain these cars, they will last for years to come!

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I didn't know where to stick this but looks like Opel is making a comeback to New Zealand. Australian will not have such vehicles again.

1648691003424.png