Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Matt's ZB RS-V wagon long term review

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
The VXRs active dampers are electrically controlled and offer 3 settings, Normal/Touring (it has no label - it's just what you get when the other two are not enabled), Sport and VXR, each progressively more aggressive. But I will say, the car does not feel like it's riding on 35 series tyres on 20" rims. And that's a good thing.

Yeap the adjustable suspension, Brembo brakes and the seats, (for those that like that style and fit in them) are the 3 special features of the VXR, worth it for the considerable extra money over a Calais V ?, I am not so sure.
Dealer told me they're losing a lot of sales of VXR because your average full size Aussie / Kiwi simply doesn't fit in the tight recaro style seat and he'd be right, that's the reason I bought a Calais V instead.

Calais V is a good alternative as it has very comfortable seats, brakes are still of a good quality (and pads and rotors won't cost you an arm and a leg like they will for the Brembo's), and there's a noticeable difference between normal and sport mode, (no VXR mode) and they're about $6,000 cheaper.
Get the 18 inch wheels like I did and you get a good compromise between comfort and handling and tyre replacement costs are around half to two thirds what they will be for 20 inch tyres.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Calais V any day of the week over a VXR.
Calais V is a comfortable, feature packed luxury car. Just like it's always been.
Paying extra for a pretend performance car with the VXR.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Just got to thinking, what would I do if I needed to replace brake pads or rotors in a few years? Nothing as yet from DBA or Bendix, and it is possible that genuine Holden parts won't be cheap...

I think I'm correct in assuming that the Buick TourX wagon in the USA uses the same brake package and calls it J17, meaning needs at least 17 inch wheels.

Rockauto in the US have these bits listed as an example:

Front Rotor - Raybestos 582033
Rear Rotor - Raybestos 581999
Front Pad - Akebone ASP 1886

All this would appear to cost about $391 delivered to Australia via DHL. Could probably do a little better looking around further, perhaps $360?

Not been able to find any rears yet, although it seems they have listings also for the V6 sedan so they should have some 315's somewhere on their site

At any rate, good to have options when the time comes, likely not too soon as the brakes aren't very dusty as compared to the Ultimates I used to run on my previous car

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
hi MattSAU2XR8,
my dad is thinking buy a latest model of commoodore ZB RS-V, had read lots discussion about the car, bad and good, tbh is the car worth to buy? as in long term, not going think about resell vaule etc, i understand that the car is no longer made by aussie , and is that mean in future its hard to get parts? incase need repair etc
thanks
Not made in Australia, harder to get parts, probably yes. But no cars are made in Australia now, so whatever you buy is the same, except the previous Aus builds, but all used cars now. The ZB seems a bit of a worry for parts, in theory they should be available I think for at least 7 years presumably after last builds. Holden stopped the boats about 7 months ago, and I don't think there's been anymore imports since then. Question is will they resume imports, or is ZB already a short run orphan. Holden seem to be mute on this.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
They'll probably do another run when the series 2 insignia is released in Europe at the end of the year.

ham1748

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
AFAIK there were plenty Buick Regals in china and US which same body as ZB only LHD, all those parts cannot be replace as our one?

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
To be honest, for how little it cost I'd be more than happy if parts were readily available for 7 years and then a little slower to get hold of after that.
As far as i can tell almost the all parts used here are used on various overseas models, perhaps with the exception of suspension tune, i.e. spring and shock rates, and for some reason it's usually cheaper to buy bits from overseas than here anyway.
Eg. many years ago an AU XR8 camshaft synchroniser (basically a distributor without any plug leads) was $880 from Ford dealer in Oz, $380 delivered from a Ford dealer in USA, and aftermarket was $130 delivered from Rockauto in USA...
So in seven years time as long as its not a work car where a week's wait for an uncommon part costs a week's wages then its probably not too big of a deal - things are probably worse for people who own oddball cars like Fiats and Skodas.
And if we can update this post from time to time with where to get bits then it should be pretty easy till at least ten years I think.
Or better still start new threads with clearly descriptive titles that Google can find like 'ZB Commodore front disc replacement Rockauto Raybestos' rather than 'no gauge no heater no illumination lights' to quote Australian Ford Forums for example - need type of car, type of problem, problem, solution in title if possible...
That said (Red VX) its a pity more people didn't test drive the ZBs - I think a lot of Camry and Mazda 6 drivers would be surprised how much more enjoyable to drive even the 4T versions are compared to the less powerful Japanese and Korean alternatives. Although 'even' is probably not the right word given the capacity to BBQ the fronts and still head more or less in the right direction. If they could afford an extra $2 per week for front tyres then this would give most punters a much better looking and handling car with more power and better ergonomics and a more pleasing interior and more versatility :)
Will be interested (Pablito) to see if Holden order a second run of ZBs..
Possibly if Holden wanted to concentrate on where the best benefit for them AND the customer is they could look at just doing silver ZB RS wagons +/- RSV rims for $35k to $36k drive away since this is probably where bang and buck intersect:
- Wagons look a little more cohesive than sedans, are more versatile, only weigh about 30 kg more, and probably cost all but same to build
- Wagons (in RS spec) seem to look best in silver, perhaps due to all the sculpting of the side panels
- Wagons (and sedans) look and go much better than base model Camry's which are about $32.5k drive way (my mum had a Camry which was exceedingly reliable and economical and cheap to service but to be honest not that comfortable or enjoyable)
- RSV wheels look better than RS wheels, but not sure if this is in part due to the extra chrome and tint on the RSV, silver wagons look OK with RS rims to me,
- Nothing else for this money would be as quick or as comfortable
- And its a logical step up from a Hyundai Elantra SR sedan at about $31k drive away
- Once a few more are sold it won't be an orphan anymore
- And keep up at least a five year warranty (and underlying engineering), otherwise Korean Kars start to look very attractive
- And while they're at it consider putting the 321 brakes on the front ($5 at factory level) and making sure the sump holds enough oil that the computer doesn't start recommending services ahead of schedule (not that mine has yet) and even consider the HiperStruts for the front (probably $100 max at factory level), and possibly consider the LED headlights (or Osrams) and it'd be the perfect car...

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Sorry Ham1748, missed your question.

Depends a lot on your Dad's financial circumstances
I'm assuming your Dad has enough money to buy and run a near new car, but there is still a big range of how much money, and whether or not he cares what he drives, i.e. is a car enthusiast, and what other commitments he has, eg. family, school fees, mortgage, and so on...
I think its fair to say a well chosen new base model car, eg. Kia Cerato, will cost less and look after its owner a lot better than for example an older performance car, eg. a low mileage VE SS for the same money, so I look at it this way for new cars...
- Kia Cerato has 7 year warranty and only costs around $22k for a base model auto and so at 15,000 kms per year will possibly cost around $7500 per year to 'own' and do everything he needs, I know because my brother's fiance has one and its been great! She could sell it after 5 years with 2 years warranty remaining. A lot of carmakers could probably achieve similar if they just increased all the lubricant capacities by 50 to 100 % so nothing wore out...
- A Mazda SP 25 will likely cost around $9000 per year and be a little better looking and faster and feel like more like quality, but still only about 25 % along the pathway from Cerato to 911.
- A ZB RS might cost up to $10,000 per year to 'own', assuming he buy's a low mileage sedan with balance of 5 year warranty for about $28500 and keeps it it for at least 4 years and sells it for at least $8500 to him, or get a wagon for around $30k and do similar. MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST have at least 4 years left of five year warranty (otherwise Korean Kars start to look a lot more attractive, and also it's a new model, so time for faults to appear, although they might not...)! If he gets a ZB I'd strongly suggest a silver RS wagon as the bang/buck intercept.
- A ZB RS-V is a very very very nice car for the money, but I think it COULD cost up to $11.5 per year as it is a little dearer to buy and uses a little more fuel and the resale may not be much more than an RS. However I bought it accepting that it MAY cost me up to this amount based on $5k depreciation per year, $1500 rego and insurance, $500 servicing and tyres, and up to $4000 fuel and other bits and pieces if needed depending on prices. They are however very cheap at $32 to $34k for demos and have heaps of good features. Your Dad probably remembers when HWP used VL Turbos that did 0-100 in about 8s - V6 ZBs reportedly do it in about 6.5 with every comfort and convenience feature you could think of. It's the best deal I could think of for the money, obviously.

So if we accept that all cars are costs rather than assets, the question is how much your Dad has to spend, and how much he likes cars.
I don't know how old he is or how much money he has to spend each year but:
- If he's retired and renting and total income is around $30k beware of buying anything new or expensive
- If as above but $40k perhaps new Cerato
- If as above but $50k probably RS wagon
- If as above but > $60k then RSV probably reasonale
Can probably use these same figures if still working too...

Note - I'm not an accountant - have done my best to estimate as per above - and how much your Dad should spend depends on how much spare money he has at present, and how much he likes cars, since it is all SPENT money, same as renting a house, or going to see a movie. Don't want to encourage you or our Dad to spend too much if not needed :)

You could look at RACV or RACQ new car running costs also, but subtract 10 to 15 % as he would probably buy demo rather than new, as do most people.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-11_0-40-28.png
    upload_2019-5-11_0-40-28.png
    887 KB · Views: 251

ham1748

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
thanks matt, my dad is looking a large sedan, we use to have VT and he loves it, now hes driving 09 camry and he felt much less power and inside was terrible lol, he is thinking between mazda 6/ commoodores, probably not getting new car, thinking of demo and want to keep for long term, so resell is not gonna happen for next 10++ years, thats why hes asking me do some research before he trying to look at those car before july

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Demo model RSV's with a few to 10 thousand Kms on them can be had for low to mid 30's already. Still with 4+ years warranty. That's nearly 20 grand below RRP. That's a heap of depreciation already taken out of the equation for the buyer. Only negative is the demo part. Could have been treated poorly.