Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MattYs VH SL/E commodore Project

matty93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive v6 and vh sle
Well i came here today to Update my vh build thread and well... Its was gone...?? D:

Anyway time to start it over again i guess.

This is my VH SL/E commodore i purchased back in October 2012

Car: Holden Commodore VH SL/E
Year: 1983 - June
Pack: 363
Trim: 1990-29Y Indigo blue interior
Paint: 2J 011-D Mercury silver
Km's: 201,xxx
Engine: Stock 3.3lt 202 blue motor
Trans: Stock Trimatic
Diff: Should be a stock 3.08:1 ratio for a 363 Pack

Has the usual trip computer, all electrics except for power windows, Had an aftermarket sunroof installed in 1988 that is a 3way electric unit.

Here is a couple shots from the day i purchased it up untill now....

Plans are to strip it down, remove the usual rusted spots, Refit a brand new larger sunroof due to the old one being rusted out in the frame, Respray in indigo blue over mercury silver, re do the center console and roof lining to original, Tint windows, fit a built 253 v8 and auto, re do all the front and rear suspension and bushes and some other minor things along the way :)

matty93

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here is a couple more photos...
Also in about 3weeks time the engine and box will be removed, interior out and body work started on at home, and then get it off to have rust fixed, car primered, hi filled and painted.

Also just purchased a 4.2lt 253 v8 and auto trimatic to be built and go into the vh :)

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
nice project mate
interior looks mint
body will come up good with a bit of work
and certainly a SL/E deserves a V8, so the engine upgrade is a big step forward. Keep in mind you may have to source another tacho though. The 6 cylinder tacho won't work on a V8 unless you get it modified.

Are you going to try and keep it looking factory ? Just a suggestion, I'd polish up the original SL/E wheels and try to find some centre caps for them. They were a good looking wheel

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Love the old sl/e cars. I used to have a vb sl/e and the wife had a vh sl/e.. Why did you choose a 253 over a 308?

matty93

Reaction score
Members Ride
nice project mate
interior looks mint
body will come up good with a bit of work
and certainly a SL/E deserves a V8, so the engine upgrade is a big step forward. Keep in mind you may have to source another tacho though. The 6 cylinder tacho won't work on a V8 unless you get it modified.

Are you going to try and keep it looking factory ? Just a suggestion, I'd polish up the original SL/E wheels and try to find some centre caps for them. They were a good looking wheel

Thanks mate! Yeah interior is part of the reason i snapped it up!

Cool! Thanks for that bit of info on the tacho, ill have to try source a v8 tacho now, or just a cluster to use for parts.

Yeah sort of factory look with some small additions here and there.

Picked up a set of polished alloys about 3months back :) They just need a lil clean up to top them off.

matty93

Reaction score
Members Ride
Love the old sl/e cars. I used to have a vb sl/e and the wife had a vh sl/e.. Why did you choose a 253 over a 308?

True you cant go wrong with one :)

Really dunno, it was there at the time and basically going almost for nothing so i took it home, cleaned it up and she ran first go.

308 would be nice, but didnt worry me which one i got, wasnt going all out for power so haha :) But if a good 308 popped up in time for the right price before i build this motor i might just go for it.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
ah yes, I like those polished SL/E wheels - well done
Once you've done the work for a V8 conversion, you can easily drop a 308 in it later if you wish
The 253 isn't a bad engine for a cruiser. If you set the carb up right, they are good on fuel too.

HAZZA-VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VY SS :)
Once you've done the work for a V8 conversion, you can easily drop a 308 in it later if you wish
The 253 isn't a bad engine for a cruiser. If you set the carb up right, they are good on fuel too.

Myself and others have said that 253s seem to sound nicer with less work to the engine... Not the powerhouse but still a V8 :p Good work dude.

I know you would have Aaron annoyed with the sunroof :p

matty93

Reaction score
Members Ride

Cheers :)

Yeah best thing with them, easy to change over :)

Thats all i really need it for a nice cruiser and to have that nice v8 sound.

matty93

Reaction score
Members Ride
Myself and others have said that 253s seem to sound nicer with less work to the engine... Not the powerhouse but still a V8 :p Good work dude.

I know you would have Aaron annoyed with the sunroof :p

Yes i totally agree! They just sound that lil bit better! :)

Hahaha yes i think i did have him annoyed if where talking about the same person :p