Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Max power gain from only an OTR?

Mp64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Hey guys, I've got a completely stock 2012 SS S2 AFM.I plan on buying an VCM OTR and installing it myself. Then getting the car dyno tuned. Just have a few questions:

What's the average kW gain from an OTR after a tune (with MAF)?

If I install the VCM OTR MAF, will I get a check engine light?

Can anyone recommend some good tuners in Melbourne? Not too fussed on price, just want somewhere reputable

So basically I wanna get the car to about 300kw at the engine, just want a tiny bit more of a kick. Not looking for crazy numbers. Is a 40kw gain unrealistic from just an OTR? And if so what can help me reach 300kw? Will a cat back help? I know a full exhaust will deff help, but it's not in the budget at the moment.

Cheers

Last edited:

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
Hey guys, I've got a completely stock 2012 SS S2 AFM.I plan on buying an VCM OTR and installing it myself. Then getting the car dyno tuned. Just have a few questions:

If I install the VCM OTR MAF, will I get a check engine light?

Can anyone recommend some good tuners in Melbourne? Not too fussed on price, just want somewhere reputable

So basically I wanna get the car to about 300kw at the engine, just want a tiny bit more of a kick. Not looking for crazy numbers. Is a 40kw gain unrealistic from just an OTR? And if so what can help me reach 300kw? Will a cat back help? I know a full exhaust will deff help, but it's not in the budget at the moment.

Cheers
youll need extractors,and upgrade the exhaust. You might go close with the stock exhaust and extractors plus otr

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14

Will a cat back help? I know a full exhaust will deff help, but it's not in the budget at the moment.

Yes, 40kw is unrealistic from an OTR. Exhaust will make a much bigger difference than an OTR.

Just install the OTR (it should be fine, easy fix to swap back if it's not) and do the tune after you get your exhaust. The main gain in power is from the retune itself, not the OTR or exhaust (although they do help, particularly the exhaust). Going to a full exhaust will give you a check engine light which is turned off or accounted for by the tuner when you get your retune, so if you get your exhaust after your tune you will have a constant check engine light (not to mention the tune won't make full use of the exhaust).

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
i'd say you'll end up with between 240rwkw to 250rwkw as stated above more to do with the tune then OTR. Standard is will be around 215-220

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
AFM mufflers are very restrictive with the extra baffling for 4cyl mode.
I noticed a gain straight away from there removal..

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
give GM motorsport in Melton a call, they will be able to help you out with what your looking to achieve

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I can always get extractors in the future. Surely that package gets me to 290-300kw?

If I was going to the trouble of getting the car tuned I'd get the extractors at the same time so the tuning would take advantage of them, and more just so I wouldn't have to take it to somebody for the check engine light it will throw.

From reading in other states a lot of reputable shops charge around $1k for basic bolt on tune, so that's also an $1800 catback which is pretty exxy.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I would save your money and wait and do everything at once. I would do a head cnc port from higgins, cam, extractors plus the rest of the system and OTR.
The other two will add money on but if you decide to go for a head upgrade and cam later you'll have to retune. Also if you port the heads if you choose a cheap extractor you might choke the head.

So I say just save and do it all in one go.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
^^^ I think cam and heads was a bit past what he was trying to go for.