Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] Max power, no forced induction?

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
haha 454, such a wicked motor, dad had a brand spanka create 454, think he paid like 10gs or more for it. pushed back the firewall in his chev, then decided to sell it.............. i was so upset. but hey plans for the blown 350 are coming along nicely in my head :p

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS and VS Senator 215i
Everyone talks bout putting an LS engine in becuase you can get them for little money and they make good power. However the project is no where near that easy! you have to worry about gearbox, clutch, custom tail shaft, k member, engine mounts, starter motor relocation, rewiring, ecu and harness. If you can get all this done for under 10k then personally I think your superman!! And then the engineering starts and you once again need a bottomless pocket. That sought of money into an engine you already have in your garage, and you might make a few less kw (once you start modding up the ls1) but ull save yourself about 1000 brain ****s. And you get to stick to the old skool carby..

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
Yea LS1's are all the rage these days, but I personally don't see it. I don't see the point in putting an LS1 in an older car if you are on a budget, it will work out much cheaper to do up your existing engine. Just like 96SEN8R said, there are a hell of a lot of unforseen costs when putting an LS1 into a car that wasn't made to fit one. Just my opinion, don't want to start another 304 versus LS1 debate.

Jbird

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY monaro
well i wouldnt say it would cost me 10g to put an ls1 in. I have worked on two ls1 conversions and as i said it will only cost me 4-5g, these days u can buy the engine and box mounts ready made and if you have a few mates that are good with the welder they can do all the little stuff but having said that I DO NOT want to lose my carby engine.

I wanna get 220-230rwk with my 308 and then i will be happy for now but if that means spending 5-6 grand on getting that power i would consider it a waste of money.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I tell you what there's something to be said about alloy blocks and having your heaters work half way down the road on a cold morning too

painter

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5.0 5spd
what am i up for $ for low 13's

i got vs 5ltr 5spd currently have set of pacemaker tri y exhaust i put lsd with 3.7 and got 14.4 at creek i want low 13's and dont want forced induction wondering how much what it needs and who could do it, must be reliable...