Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Max safe rpm

kelvin2164

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
I 've just built an Ecotec and I'm using programmable engine management so can set whatever rev limit I like, but at this stage I don't know a lot about Commodores. What's a safe max revs for an Ecotec with standard bottom end.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
6500 is on the edge 6000 safe as houses

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Really? Only 6500 on the edge ? My Auto took it to 6800 one day, i swear it was going to blow up though lol but only for a moment i guess its ok, holding it at those revs though would die in a matter of moments lol

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Executive 3.8L
Never mind the bottom end, its the top end of the ecotec that dies at high rpm. after 4500 it valve thrashes badly, (from VN to VR) the engine turns off the knock sensor after 3000 coz it can distinguish knocking from valve thrash, then they jus used better sensors. after 4500 all the torque drops off anyway. it would be faster to shift at 4500 then to let it rev up while it does nothing. i would set mine at 4500 to 5000.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Never mind the bottom end, its the top end of the ecotec that dies at high rpm. after 4500 it valve thrashes badly, (from VN to VR) the engine turns off the knock sensor after 3000 coz it can distinguish knocking from valve thrash, then they jus used better sensors. after 4500 all the torque drops off anyway. it would be faster to shift at 4500 then to let it rev up while it does nothing. i would set mine at 4500 to 5000.

The ecotec diden't come out to the vs so was it the same in the eco or just the buick ?

The eco will make power up to wen ever the cam lets it but with the stock bottom end there is no reason it should be revved any more than what the factory limit is set to and holding it on the limiter kiss it as it cuts the fuel and it leans out and as ya know a lean engine goes bang...

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
I get up to 7000rpm with my ecotec haha. only coz the cams range is up around 6800... not too keen on revving it further tho, dont need to

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I get up to 7000rpm with my ecotec haha. only coz the cams range is up around 6800... not too keen on revving it further tho, dont need to

Hope you aren't running stock internals, I've heard that at ~7000rpm the crankshaft likes to turn into a jigsaw puzzle.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
a good balance job and main studs 7000 is doable lots of guys running up that high but can get reliabuility problems seen some nasty cam damage from revs in the ecotec.ide love to build one for 8000rpm and cam it to suit would make a killer engine if you can get the headflow