Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Max safe rpm

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
a good balance job and main studs 7000 is doable lots of guys running up that high but can get reliabuility problems seen some nasty cam damage from revs in the ecotec.ide love to build one for 8000rpm and cam it to suit would make a killer engine if you can get the headflow

Move the drone up the rev range, LOL. An 8000rpm Ecotec would be awesome, do it, now, you know you want too, ;) .

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
ill be doing a buick LOL and it will have a bigger snail than it does now this is why i have forged goodness on order

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Hope you aren't running stock internals, I've heard that at ~7000rpm the crankshaft likes to turn into a jigsaw puzzle.

Stock bottom end rebuilt. i'm aware of the dangers... but it's a fun car after all. It's all been built/ tuned/ run under the guidance of a v6 guru in Adel who's broken a crank... or 30 in r&d lol. 7k rpm is the limit suggested to me, so that's where the cutout is

WAFFEN SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VS Commodore and 5L VT Clubby
Your not using the standed fuel cut at that rev are you?

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Really? Only 6500 on the edge ? My Auto took it to 6800 one day, i swear it was going to blow up though lol but only for a moment i guess its ok, holding it at those revs though would die in a matter of moments lol

They killed an Ecotec at Motorvation I think it was, held it on the limiter for 6 and a half minutes before it died, still started up after it had cooled down! Motor had 250,000 k's on it.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Does the word safe and max rpm even fit in the same sentence? :p

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Executive 3.8L
Quote Originally Posted by General Xander View Post
Never mind the bottom end, its the top end of the ecotec that dies at high rpm. after 4500 it valve thrashes badly, (from VN to VR) the engine turns off the knock sensor after 3000 coz it can distinguish knocking from valve thrash, then they jus used better sensors. after 4500 all the torque drops off anyway. it would be faster to shift at 4500 then to let it rev up while it does nothing. i would set mine at 4500 to 5000.

The ecotec diden't come out to the vs so was it the same in the eco or just the buick ?

The eco will make power up to wen ever the cam lets it but with the stock bottom end there is no reason it should be revved any more than what the factory limit is set to and holding it on the limiter kiss it as it cuts the fuel and it leans out and as ya know a lean engine goes bang...
the ecotec came out in all of them, right up to until VZ which changed to the alloytec. The ecotec is a buick. what i meant was that they all valve thrash, it was only VN to VR that turned off the knock sensor

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
the ecotec came out in all of them, right up to until VZ which changed to the alloytec. The ecotec is a buick. what i meant was that they all valve thrash, it was only VN to VR that turned off the knock sensor

No the earlier V6s were Buicks 3800s, The VS-VYs had Ecotecs