Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Max torque through a locked 6L90 stock converter

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone would happen to know what sort of torque (power) is been put through a stock VF HSV ('13 Camaro ZL1 / '09-'14 CTS-V) 6L90 converter at WOT whilst still locked up?

The tune files I've seen show HSV has the converter locked at WOT on the VF GTS. Based on that, then at a minimum they can handle 740Nm locked up.

I've seen a vid on you tube with a bloke pushing 600+rwkw with radials run a 9.xx on a stock converter, but I presume that'll be unlocked???

Reason for asking is I'm looking at replacing my aftermarket converter at the moment with a stock one to get some driveability back, but want it to be locked at WOT.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I'm no transmission expert but from what I've seen and heard some modern converters are getting to the point where the lock up clutch is as strong as all the others.

On that particular converter I don't know how much torque it can handle. I would just try it and when it fails you'll know how much they can take.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, that bit about having a crack and seeing the limit to know how much they can take is the bit I'm asking for help about. Would rather find out the temperature of the water before jumping in. Could be in Scandinavia somewhere and get burnt.

With regards to being locked, they will hold the torque or they won't. Trying to get some insight into what that torque figure is. Unlocked (or locked???) as per many youtube vids they are pretty stout.

My current TCE 2800 high stall single disc for example shits itself after about 600NM locked. And that is commanding apply pressure of around 760kPa. Can go higher with the apply pressure but don't know enough about seals, bushes, o rings pumps etc to have a go at going that high.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yeah, that bit about having a crack and seeing the limit to know how much they can take is the bit I'm asking for help about. Would rather find out the temperature of the water before jumping in. Could be in Scandinavia somewhere and get burnt.

With regards to being locked, they will hold the torque or they won't. Trying to get some insight into what that torque figure is. Unlocked (or locked???) as per many youtube vids they are pretty stout.

My current TCE 2800 high stall single disc for example shits itself after about 600NM locked. And that is commanding apply pressure of around 760kPa. Can go higher with the apply pressure but don't know enough about seals, bushes, o rings pumps etc to have a go at going that high.

I can't see the OE converter being much more than that TCE one.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The OEM converter is a Kevlar double disc. Probably why HSV leaves them locked up with 750NM been put through it. Seems far superior to the single disc I have. Im gonna have to buy it and try it. You said that earlier...;)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The OEM converter is a Kevlar double disc. Probably why HSV leaves them locked up with 750NM been put through it. Seems far superior to the single disc I have. Im gonna have to buy it and try it. You said that earlier...;)

When the HSV forum was still up and running, there were guys there putting lots of grunt through standard 6L90's.
They were all pretty impressed with the standard convertor, it was almost like a high stall.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The stall speed is something around 2000rpm which is perfect for a positive displacement blower motor. Hell, when locked up in 6th I can make 12psi of boost at 1500rpm lol. The cam that is in it is not great down the low end but in saying that it's not terribly awful either.

The original owners tuner didn't spend much time on the idle tune so it bucked and pushed a bit when riding the brake coming up to a stop sign for example. Maybe that's why they went high stall in the first place. I've since spent to many hours dialling in the idle and have it running like stock with bugger all spark correction when in drive and on the coast down.

Anyway, Holden want $950 for the converter plus another $180 for a pan filter and gasket. Seems a bit steep. I have plenty of fluid at home so will do it myself.