Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Max wheel size VT !??

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Having seen pictures of a spindly-looking imported 19" rim which has snapped the center section out of it when fitted to a large and heavy V8 Fairmont (hit a good sized pothole mid-corner apparently...I'll try and dig the picture up), I can understand why they are reluctant to OK such big wheels on cars which, lets face it, have to deal with streets with kerbs and potholes rather than billiard-table smooth racetracks...safety (and liability) first.

I didn't think you were allowed to increase the rolling diameter at all here in QLD...I could be wrong. Last I heard, you could only increase the track by 25mm, and the rim by, I think, 2 inches. All sorts of fun things like leverage on suspension components and metal fatigue comes into play when you start fitting massive wide wheels and tyres to standard suspension...

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Wombat said:
Having seen pictures of a spindly-looking imported 19" rim which has snapped the center section out of it when fitted to a large and heavy V8 Fairmont (hit a good sized pothole mid-corner apparently...I'll try and dig the picture up), I can understand why they are reluctant to OK such big wheels on cars which, lets face it, have to deal with streets with kerbs and potholes rather than billiard-table smooth racetracks...safety (and liability) first.

I didn't think you were allowed to increase the rolling diameter at all here in QLD...I could be wrong. Last I heard, you could only increase the track by 25mm, and the rim by, I think, 2 inches. All sorts of fun things like leverage on suspension components and metal fatigue comes into play when you start fitting massive wide wheels and tyres to standard suspension...

Increase in rolling diameter is max 15mm, not 50mm like up above btw...

Also, alot of wheels that people put on commodores and fords get structural damage as they are made for jap crap etc... For instance WRX rims on commy. Commy's are substantially heavier and the rims arent structured for the weight of a car the size of a commodore and also the offset is sometimes wrong as well...

But all wheels here must pass an Australian standard to be legal anyway. 2186 or some crap...

You should always buy wheels within 10mm of the original factory offset and make sure they have passed the Australian standard and are designed for cars similar to your car, not a WRX wheel that just happens to fit commodores etc.

8your8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP EXECTIVE SERIES II (5 SPEED)
Hay all yer you should be fine i got pulled up n all he did was look at da size (245-35-19') of them n he did do or say anytning. Any questions feel free 2 ask !

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
8your8 said:
Hay all yer you should be fine i got pulled up n all he did was look at da size (245-35-19') of them n he did do or say anytning. Any questions feel free 2 ask !

ha ha silly cop.
i am defenetly gonna get these 18" inch wheels after rego (10 more weeks!)

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
I thought the law stated 2" bigger than the biggest optional or available on the model across the board, so therefore it would be 2" bigger than the biggest wheels available from Holden for the VT, so the biggest would be HSV I think, so therefore wouldn't the maximum size be 2" bigger than HSV wheels? So if the HSV wheels were 18" then wouldn't you be able to fir 20"s?

It's what my brother's done, because the walkinshaw has 16" wheels he has 18" wheels on his executive, don't believe he's ever had any issues with them and the law.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
darkcold said:
I thought the law stated 2" bigger than the biggest optional or available on the model across the board, so therefore it would be 2" bigger than the biggest wheels available from Holden for the VT, so the biggest would be HSV I think, so therefore wouldn't the maximum size be 2" bigger than HSV wheels? So if the HSV wheels were 18" then wouldn't you be able to fir 20"s?

It's what my brother's done, because the walkinshaw has 16" wheels he has 18" wheels on his executive, don't believe he's ever had any issues with them and the law.

No its 2 inches bigger than the largest wheel stated on your tyre placard. So for instance on my VN I have a 14" wheel listed and a 15" wheel listed as 15 was standard on S and SS, optional on others.

Whilst my car came from factory with 14", as it says 15" on the tyre placard as well I can legally go to 17".

HSV's such as the group A had 17's, but that doesnt mean I can go to 19" as HSV's have their own tyre placard.

Also changing your tyre placard doesnt make a difference. The police still check a book for the wheel sizes anyway, so dont think you can get a VZ placard and stick it on a VL or something, as it is also an extra fine for changing the placard.

mtrebor63

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I have a VT with 20inch Mags on , cops drove by looked at it and moved on , i think personally its too low

I8.A4.RE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1 - LANCER MY10 - VE UTE
^^Post a pic of your VT & let us be the judge. I reckon you could fit 22" no probs. Might need to bash the inner guards with a rubber mallet though. Is yours a series 1 or 2?

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
I have a VT with 20inch Mags on , cops drove by looked at it and moved on , i think personally its too low

WTF..... It's a 6 year old thread. Dig any further and you'll strike oil. FFS.