Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Max wheel size VT !??

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
hello!

i'm sorry if this is a stupid question but i wasn't sure.
what is the largest legal size for rims on a VT executive (1998), sorry i don't know much about wheels.

thank you :)

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
The wheel sizes for VT models are:
15 inch for Executive and Acclaim and Berlina
16 inch for Calais and S
17 inch for SS

So with your VT Exec, the legal size you can go to is 17 inch wheels as you can only exceed the stock size by 2 inches.

Note some states are now 1 inch so it would only be 16 inch... Not sure what states this is in though, pretty sure NSW is still 2 as is SA. Also you can get your car engineered for larger wheels as well to make it legal and get all the paperwork for it...

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
hey thanks for the reply.
my brother's old lancer (1994) had 17" inch wheels but he was engineered, i hope it's 17, i was gonna get these 18" wheels when i saved up.

i keep seeing VTs everywhere with like MASSSIVE 19, 20" wheels so i wasnt sure thanks again!

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
1991_vn2nv what do you have to get done to your car to make the 19's legal? Is it a lot of hassle to get sorted? I had a look through the roadworthy guide for Vic but couldn't see anything about wheel size.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Shortstuff said:
1991_vn2nv what do you have to get done to your car to make the 19's legal? Is it a lot of hassle to get sorted? I had a look through the roadworthy guide for Vic but couldn't see anything about wheel size.

Im not entirely sure yet... I think with VN's atleast 17's and 18's are normally fine as long as the tyres arent too wide and you have an adjustable pan hard rod... so that it doesnt scrape at all.

Im not sure but some1's told me with 19's I may need to upgrade to VT brakes... But I've yet to find this out...

Most good wheel stores can get your wheels engineered, so maybe give one a ring and ask?

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
wtf?? you have to upgrade your brakes because your wheels are bigger?? What a load of crap, i think you may have been misinformed.

Im not that sure about individual state legislation, but most say that you can change wheel size as long as you dont change the OVERALL rolling diameter by more than 50mm (2") and the width by some other number, maybe 1" (but im not sure) You can go up to about 19" before you 'need' engineering, as 20s and above have load ratings too small for your car.

I stress though that im not 100% on this, but im pretty sure this is how it is for most states. Some states may vary

VLturbs87

1 TUFF SLE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE 333 stroker
I wouldn't go any bigger then 20s

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
semi said:
wtf?? you have to upgrade your brakes because your wheels are bigger?? What a load of crap, i think you may have been misinformed.

Im not that sure about individual state legislation, but most say that you can change wheel size as long as you dont change the OVERALL rolling diameter by more than 50mm (2") and the width by some other number, maybe 1" (but im not sure) You can go up to about 19" before you 'need' engineering, as 20s and above have load ratings too small for your car.

I stress though that im not 100% on this, but im pretty sure this is how it is for most states. Some states may vary

The overall rolling diameter rule you mentioned is correct... but there is ALSO a law in all states about the size of the actual rim... in all states the maximum increase is 2 inches. No state has anything more than that and apparently some are now 1 inch...

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
what a stupid law