Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mazda's new Motor - Idling Stop Technology

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
From what i understand, the WAY mazda does it is different to everyone elses. No Starter motor involvement.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
From what i understand, the WAY mazda does it is different to everyone elses. No Starter motor involvement.

Which is what i said in my first post nothing new but improved on

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
good idea to save fuel, bad name.

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
cant see it being cost effective for the average motorist, maybe taxis. A typical v6 idles at about 1.4L/hr, or about $2 per hour, or about 3 cents/min.
Out of your total commuting time, how much is spent absolutely stationary for the average motorist? 5 mins?, a whopping 15cents save per day. But we have no details about how long the system takes to kick in, does it wait 30 seconds after coming to rest before switching off, in that case change the estimate above to 8cents per day!

In terms of the total emissions coming from the total vehicle fleet it would be significant and perhaps governments in the future will make it a requirement.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Its all a step in the right direction i cant wait till more cars come out with KERS

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
i noticed a couple of ppl said it would be annoying in peak hour traffic. it switches on after you take your foot off the brake not when you hit the accelerator how many of you are going to go from brake to accel in less than 0.35 seconds.
and if your that impatient then its the wrong car for you.

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton

...At the same time, the starter motor applies a small amount of additional momentum to the crankshaft resulting in an extremely quick and refined restart of the engine.

There is, but not anywhere near as much as a conventional system would require, I suppose.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
i noticed a couple of ppl said it would be annoying in peak hour traffic. it switches on after you take your foot off the brake not when you hit the accelerator how many of you are going to go from brake to accel in less than 0.35 seconds.
and if your that impatient then its the wrong car for you.

it's not about impatience, it's about the delay being annoying, like a minor engine flatspot/miss. People don't get annoyed with flatspots/missfires because they are impatient.
I relate it to those cars like Vectras that drop into neutral when sitting stationary. When you release the brake and hit the throttle there is a very brief, but annoying delay before the transmission goes back into gear. If it's just between traffic lights fine, but if you are on and off the throttle/on the brake several times within a few minutes in a traffic jam, the delay becomes much more noticeable and annoying.

But like I said, if there was an override switch like most cars have for traction control, stability control etc, then no problem. You could turn it off in those start/stop situations if you wish.

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
it's not about impatience, it's about the delay being annoying, like a minor engine flatspot/miss. People don't get annoyed with flatspots/missfires because they are impatient.
I relate it to those cars like Vectras that drop into neutral when sitting stationary. When you release the brake and hit the throttle there is a very brief, but annoying delay before the transmission goes back into gear. If it's just between traffic lights fine, but if you are on and off the throttle/on the brake several times within a few minutes in a traffic jam, the delay becomes much more noticeable and annoying.

But like I said, if there was an override switch like most cars have for traction control, stability control etc, then no problem. You could turn it off in those start/stop situations if you wish.

Turbo diesel Triton = flat spot with wheels, lol. It sucks ass. There's a big delay when you put your foot down, half a second or so. Then you get a tiny surge of power, then it waits for the turbo to spool at 2200 rpm. So you get Nothing - Surge - Nothing - Surge then it flattens out after 3200rpm, before running out of puff after 3700rpm. It's a nightmare on roundabouts, although footstalling it gives surprisingly swift takeoffs heh.