Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MCA on an SV6?

tommytt22

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
There are hundreds of suspension/ coilover threads. None of them are recent though and most seem to go for Tein or Pedders.

I've heard really good things about MCA greens, is there a reason they aren't mentioned on JC? Was thinking of putting a set on my 2011 sv6.

For $1790 and the positive reviews, they seem like a perfect balance of daily driving and maybe a track day once or twice a year

Any advice? thanks

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Hey man,

Never heard of MCA. Hope they aren’t a crappy Chinese knock off. Do they still have adjustable bump and or rebound ?

I’ve got the Pedders XA Xtreme coilovers, and Whitelime front and rear sway bars.
Had them on for 70k now, not an issue

Just what ever setup you go with, don’t make the bump setting to hard on the road. Still want the, to ride over the pot holes without the need for a kidney belt.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
MCA are awesome, all manufactured in Brisbane. They run the Hammerhead (which has won a couple of times) at World Time Attack Challenge so their R&D is on point. I know a number of people that use these in different cars and even though they're slightly more expensive they're still really good value for what they are even at that price. The greens are a comfort choice so should be pretty good for dailying.

When you place an order they will contact you and ask you about what you want to use them for and what your existing setup is and build something to suit with appropriate spring rates and valving.

At this stage in time Teins and BCs (and probs Pedders, dunno) for the VE will come out of China or Taiwan, the only Teins still made in Japan are the uber expensive ones which I doubt exist off the shelf for a VE. Having said that they have good quality checks in place, so there's nothing inherently wrong with them.

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Well there ya go.

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
Mca have a pretty big following in the jap car scene, I ended up getting a set for my rs liberty. I originally was looking at the base model blues (now discontinued/replaced by the street essential greens), but the higher end models come with additional features and it ended up snowballing into a set of street ultimates at ~2800. Pretty happy with them so far, when I look at suspension for my vf redline ute I'll be going straight back to mca.

tommytt22

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
MCA greens seemed like a good daily choice but i don't want an even softer ride than i have already, the aim is to reduce roll not increase it. Street ultimates say they come with a dyno tune, lmao wtf. @rossimo how are the ultimates? probably a bit steep for me atm but if theyre that good i could save up more for them. Thought they might be a bit overkill

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
MCA greens seemed like a good daily choice but i don't want an even softer ride than i have already, the aim is to reduce roll not increase it.

Contact them and tell them what you want to do, they're built to order and can be optioned with different spring rates, the colour naming system they have isn't a one size fits all approach to their range or products. By default anyway I really doubt that you'd have a softer/boatier ride, wouldn't be a very good suspension company if that was the case.

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
MCA greens seemed like a good daily choice but i don't want an even softer ride than i have already, the aim is to reduce roll not increase it. Street ultimates say they come with a dyno tune, lmao wtf. @rossimo how are the ultimates? probably a bit steep for me atm but if theyre that good i could save up more for them. Thought they might be a bit overkill
The street essential greens would be a good entry/daily choice if you're not chasing all the bells and whistles, doubt they will be softer than stock unless you go very soft springs. Ultimates are probably overkill if you just want a lowered car with firmer suspension with height ajustment. I ended up getting the ultimates as they came with custom spring rates and camber washers standard meaning I can pull hubs off etc and bolt them back on without affecting the camber spec and needing an alignment etc. Figured I'd fork out and go the "do it once, do it right" approach as they more suited my needs than the entry level ones on that car. Dunno what the dyno tuning part is about unless they mean they bench test them or something and make sure they are spot on to what they are spec'd to. I went fairly light on spring rates for the rs as a good mate has similar mca coilovers in the same car and his are very harsh, but he went pretty aggressive on spring rates, somewhere around the 9/10kg/mm. I've got 6 or 7kg/mm fronts and 5 or 4kg/mm rears (can't remember exactly) they are pretty much spot on for what I wanted in a weekend/occasional track car.

55ams

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6 sedan manual
ive had my ve sv6 manual for 7 years come this july do f**K all driving so ive got low kms and i got the tein coilovers a few months after i got the car, there still good now, but att i got talked into buying the base model coils as he said "new car/good roads" that was a dump idea i wish i had of gotten the ones with the damper adjust etc, but its still low and now over the years ive done more etc with the suspension, i might change the coils later on but at this stage, no.. it does handle nice tho

tommytt22

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
I'm not running any camber and theres no need for me to pull the wheels off often so i think green or purple is the best choice for me, also being in brisbane makes it easy for me to chat with MCA about it