Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Media Centre

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
I'm in exactly the same boat as Stealthy here... My entire media collection (TV, Movies, Pictures, Music) is available in real time to every TV in my house, direct from my PC. I have never researched a media centre box basically because everything is so easy to setup and stream I can't see the point. Hence my confusion about why people need media centres.

How are you connecting the TV;s to the media, I take it your tv's have a nic port?

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
I have a 37in on my wall, my dad has a 40in in his lounge room, and a 32in in his bedroom ;) All linked to my PC and ALLLL the media on it. You just watch it like you would play xbox game. So yes, it does have TVs
Can media centres even be shared across multiple TVs? IDK how they work (and tbh i havn't researched it, since my setup works so perfectly)

My PC has a dual HD recorder, so it does what a normal media centre can do, times 100 (media centres are limited in size, i doubt i'll fill 14TB anytime soon...)

Your missing the point, you can watch whatever media or listen to music and your using your TV for digital TV, my PVR setup is for getting digital reception (I have a CRT TV) as well as having divx/mp3 access in the lounge room. Most people with PVR's are after a digital tuner

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Yes - but for the TVs that don't, an X-Box, PS3 or STB will do fine. You say most people are after digital tuning? Well the setup in my bedroom for example with an old LCD TV (no Network port) uses a 500Gb Beonwiz dual HD tuner STB. So it picks up and records HD TV as well as accesses all my media from my PC. For just $349. With a PS3 or X-Box you get the added bonus of a games console and BluRay player.

I still can't see the point of a media centre.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
CSP the setup I linked, Can also stream to Xbox & Ps3 Systems or you can run The non PVR versions in other rooms for $201 each, an Throw a 2tb HDD in each of those, So you could have 3 in different rooms, 1 with a dual pvr, all with a 2TB hdd & have 6tb storage linked an all accessable from the 1 unit through its regular menu setup. It also operages as a NAS, So your PC & laptops can use it at the same time etc.

Cheers
Mat

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
My NAS is already on my network.... So I need to spend all this extra money why?

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
I watch 3D content, Most regular Nas or TV streemers are DLNA only, This isn't I can keep going but I really can't be ####ed...

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
DLNA only? Are you serious? That's one of many many protocols used.

As for 3D - LOL!!! Over hyped gimmicky crap! Who wants to have everyone watching TV wearing large uncomfortable glasses?

Please keep going - I haven't heard any benefits of your setup over mine just yet. Unless a goal was for it to cost more. Then I guess that'd be a plus. But that wasn't a goal of mine.

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
DLNA only? Are you serious? That's one of many many protocols used.

As for 3D - LOL!!! Over hyped gimmicky crap! Who wants to have everyone watching TV wearing large uncomfortable glasses?

Please keep going - I haven't heard any benefits of your setup over mine just yet. Unless a goal was for it to cost more. Then I guess that'd be a plus. But that wasn't a goal of mine.

Explain how my setup costs more? Go for it. Compared to your setup, Usability an front end Is easier, Samsungs 3D glassses are not large nor uncomfortable either.

Just stop being a dick.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
You have a whole lot of un-necessary extra hardware...

I'm not being a dick. Just trying to understand the whole point of media centres.

EVERY set of 3D glasses are large and uncomfortable. Not to mention the fact you have to wear them at all!