Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Media Centre

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Thats fine for you, but my kids don't want to watch digital tv on my computer monitor. I created this setup 5 years ago, i don't have digital TV on the TV itself so at the time Mediaportal was the way to go. It allows much more flexability for my setup than anything else. As Hozy has noted MKV is a no go on 360, The PC can play any format you can throw at it. As for cost, well 5 years for a pc is pretty good going. It is only an AMD Athlon CPU with a 7600 GT video card so the specs arn't that high.

Guess we're after different things then. I'd assume Jesterarts doesn't watch the same shows your kids do, but we'll wait and see what he thinks of the suggestions here :)
The only time i ever watch FTA tv is for the V8s, everything else is downloaded and watched without ad's.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thats pretty much what I have been saying from the start

But its Jesterarts thread, not yours ;) If you were looking at a new setup wouldn't you rather ALL the options?

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
But its Jesterarts thread, not yours ;) If you were looking at a new setup wouldn't you rather ALL the options?

In that case, I would go with Hozy's suggestion, simply because I need divx/mp3 playback as well as the ability to recored HDTV in the one unit. The reason I would go that over CSP's suggestion is only because it seems easier to upgrade the drive size.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Me I built a HTPC. Cost me about a 1000 all up.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/lan-lounge/128115-building-htpc-does-anyoneelse-have-one.html

Its got everything you need for home theatre and soo much more than some other setups are got the biggest advantage compared to other products is the fact its a 2nd PC so when the missus is using one i can be on the other. Also XBMC is best looking frontend software and its full hd. I also have an xbox and access to everything on both pc via lan. Space in my HTPC for 14TB off storage. Blu-ray player HDTV recorder (dual tuner) full HDCP compliant and all that crap Sure it costs twice as much as hozy option but does everything it does and more and looks and works a lot better
The biggest downside i found with this is power consumption as it turns out you end basically having 2 pc's on all the time :p

Now im considering consolidating all my storage in a nas (or 2 as i already got 1) and getting a SSD for the HTPC to speed things up a bit opinions???

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
The biggest downside i found with this is power consumption as it turns out you end basically having 2 pc's on all the time :p

Do they really use that much tho? I thought about getting a power monitor just to see how much it really uses, but wasn't sure if i 'actualy' wanted to now (if its bad lol)

I'm getting an SSD for my OS, but i can justify $1499 for every 640gb of storage for my media aswell.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
stealthy i think it only use so much power as it has (4 xTB) hdd and gets left on all day even when no one using it. I mean its not like it uses massive amounts of power i'd say maybe an extra $20 or 30 per bill. Really its not much of a downside but with my last few power bills being huge im looking to cut back wherever i can it all adds up.

As i was saying with the nas is they use less power and doesnt mean i have to have both pcs on to access everything. So i move all my media onto a NAS then buy like an 80gig SSD and just have the operating system and other software needed to run the HTPC on it. THen just buy The Cheaper SATA for Storage

Oh and another advantage with NAS is i can setup Bittorrent and leave it on all night instead of pc and save even more power as i can turn both pc's off