Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Media Centre

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Hey guys,

Just need your input on a good media centre for my theatre room.

At the moment I have a TVIX 2230 but I want to get another, higher capacity and spedc media centre with PVR.

I plan on using the TVIX in my living room as a PVR and then getting a new unit for the theatre room to hook up to the big screen.

I'm after something that has HDMI outputs, HD-PVR, plays most video/music formats AND has decent music playback capability.

My main issue with the TVIX is the music playback is rubbish. I have 40gb of music but it only has the functionality to play files within on holder. Playlists, artist shuffle, etc are all missing.

Any good ones you guys know about?

Budget is about $600-800.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
I have a tvix 6640n, Dual PVR, there is a new S1 Slim version, I love it, Can play SideBySide 3d aswell, Just set TV to display SBS picture & throw your glasses on.

An the 6640 Supports great music playback features! Majority of my audio is .wav & .flac as I dislike MP3 I actually control it all from my iPhone from the 6640's Network capability...

I can record 2 channels & still watch a 1080p movie with no issues. & Controlling the Music playback from my Mobile phone, from anywhere is perfect :)

This is what i Suggest for you + 2tb WD Green HDD
Dvico TViX S1 Duo PVR [AETDVITVIS1DUO] - $329.00 : PC Case Gear

P.s- the Tvix 2230 that you have, is an ancient POS... Compared to the New ones.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
I have a tvix 6640n, Dual PVR, there is a new S1 Slim version, I love it, Can play SideBySide 3d aswell, Just set TV to display SBS picture & throw your glasses on.

An the 6640 Supports great music playback features! Majority of my audio is .wav & .flac as I dislike MP3 I actually control it all from my iPhone from the 6640's Network capability...

I can record 2 channels & still watch a 1080p movie with no issues. & Controlling the Music playback from my Mobile phone, from anywhere is perfect :)

This is what i Suggest for you + 2tb WD Green HDD
Dvico TViX S1 Duo PVR [AETDVITVIS1DUO] - $329.00 : PC Case Gear

P.s- the Tvix 2230 that you have, is an ancient POS... Compared to the New ones.

That is one sweet little unit, far better than my media center pvr

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I just link my xbox to my PC, and watch everything through there. Has the added bonus that theres no limit to how many xboxes you link up, all can access the SAME media, at any time (You can be cranking beats while your gf watches a movie etc).

I basically build my new PC as a mass media centre (14TB atm) so i'll never run out of space.

TBH i'm not a big fan of the music playlists, but it does everything YOU said you wanted, so its a fairly cheap way out (and if you already have an XBOX, win for you)

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
I just link my xbox to my PC, and watch everything through there. Has the added bonus that theres no limit to how many xboxes you link up, all can access the SAME media, at any time (You can be cranking beats while your gf watches a movie etc).

I basically build my new PC as a mass media centre (14TB atm) so i'll never run out of space.

TBH i'm not a big fan of the music playlists, but it does everything YOU said you wanted, so its a fairly cheap way out (and if you already have an XBOX, win for you)

You don't have any TV though with that setup.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
With network streaming being so easy to setup, have you thought about whether you even need a media box? It still puzzles me why people want to go to the extra effort and expense.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
You don't have any TV though with that setup.

I have a 37in on my wall, my dad has a 40in in his lounge room, and a 32in in his bedroom ;) All linked to my PC and ALLLL the media on it. You just watch it like you would play xbox game. So yes, it does have TVs
Can media centres even be shared across multiple TVs? IDK how they work (and tbh i havn't researched it, since my setup works so perfectly)

My PC has a dual HD recorder, so it does what a normal media centre can do, times 100 (media centres are limited in size, i doubt i'll fill 14TB anytime soon...)

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
I'm in exactly the same boat as Stealthy here... My entire media collection (TV, Movies, Pictures, Music) is available in real time to every TV in my house, direct from my PC. I have never researched a media centre box basically because everything is so easy to setup and stream I can't see the point. Hence my confusion about why people need media centres.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm in exactly the same boat as Stealthy here... My entire media collection (TV, Movies, Pictures, Music) is available in real time to every TV in my house, direct from my PC. I have never researched a media centre box basically because everything is so easy to setup and stream I can't see the point. Hence my confusion about why people need media centres.

If theres a harder way to do things, people will find it :p