Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Media's new plaything - Dog attacks

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
agreed about the smally granny dogs being vicious, those little fluff bastard would attack before a pit bull/staffy/rotti would.

my sister has a staffy/american pit pull cross, its a lovable dog, it even take little kids pulling on it ears and tail, its a good family dog.
i think theres two main factors to this
1. c'mon, its a ####ing dog, it attacks when provoked, they get what they deserve (in most cases)
2. how the dog was bought up/trained, most people don't train their dogs properly. alot of people don't want to take time from their day just to train a pet, or they think they don't have to reward the dog when it does something right. the dog doesn't have to listen, that's why you need to give them treats! haha

some dogs are harder to train, take great danes for example, i swear, mine is ####ing retarded sometimes. hahaha

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Animals are animals and you can never predict what they are going to do 100% of the time just as you cannot predict what a human will do 100% of the time, but if you train your animal obviously reduce the chance of a attack.
As for the laws if you cannot contain or control your animal then you should loose it.

Partially agree. Because in this situation the loser is the animal which inevitably gets put down. Even if the owner loses the animal and it's in a pound for adoption, the chances are the animal will have behavioural issues because it wasn't raised right and no one will adopt it.

The laws should be that BEFORE you get a dog or any animal, you have to go through a te4sting process to see if you are able to keep a dog. Both from a location/logistical perspective and also from a "does this person have the mental capacity to keep an animal" perspective.

Dogs are pack animals. The owner needs to be able to display they are the pack leader mentally adn physically for the dog to actually listen to them.

If a Rotti has an owner who is a dumb **** string bean it's going to be extremely difficult for that animal to respect or listen to the owner because the dog will know it's smarter and stronger.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Jest.

The system you describe above allbeit wonderful.

I find it hard to believe that you would ever gain the backing to run/maintain it.
This being because you would have a run in with the minority who think having certain things is a right not a privellage I.e. a license.

I deffenitely agree though that ina perfect world if a dog ownership licensing system could be developed that would in turn allow legal punishment to be dished out easier.

I can't stress how important it is that this would take alot if effort to set up. Effort that unfortunately I think noone is willing to give.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
I'd say having a "pack mentality" would do jack all when your 100Kg dog decides to go ape **** on your/someone else's arse.
The way I see it if you can't control the animal in all situations then you shouldn't have it to start off with, big dogs are only good for two reason intimidation and the look at me factor which I'm all for as long as your look at me factor can't harm others.
I should add that as long as your look at me factor is secured from the public go nuts!
And I am a proud/responsible dog owner before some of you start calling me a animal hater, Roxy 12 years old (red), Bailey 11 (black). Roxy is getting on now and can get a little crabby so when unfamiliar children are around they get put in the laundry to avoid the possibility of nasty confrontation.
Roxy And Bailey.jpg

Last edited:

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I'd say having a "pack mentality" would do jack all when your 100Kg dog decides to go ape **** on your/someone else's arse.The way I see it if you can't control the animal in all situations then you shouldn't have it to start off with, big dogs are only good for two reason intimidation and the look at me factor which I'm all for as long as your look at me factor can't harm others.

You would be surprised. In our family the Rotti was most obediant for mum. He was scared of her, if she raised her voice at him in anger he would piss himself and cower like a pup even though she had never done anything to him.

He never dared challenge mum in any way. That would be directly due to pack mentality.

He knew exactly who the boss of the house was. :p

Though I completely agree with your comment on "if you can't control it, you shouldn't have it". And control is both mental and physical.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
big dogs are only good for two reason intimidation and the look at me factor

What a bloody ridiculous comment to make. I have a 6 month old Great Dane that's already bigger than most dogs. While I know the size is one of the most recognizable features of the breed, it has absolutely no bearing on one of your two reasons for having the dog. He is NOT intimidating and we certainly didn't get him so other people would look at us.

Great Danes are one of the most loyal & loving breeds of dog available and I have never met one that has a mean or aggressive bone in their body. They aren't even aware of their own size and I have never seen one try to intimidate anyone or any other animals because they're bigger. They just want to play with other dogs. Our boy even plays with the two cats we have - he's such a gentle giant.

Most common, idiotic misconception about people owning big dogs is they want them to be intimidating or to attract attention. NOT true.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Not intimidating to you.

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Not intimidating to you.

That just proves that people can be afraid of anything.. A lapdog can be intimidating if it keeps nipping at you. Same logic applies.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
These laws scare me.

I have a staffy, its well trained but it doesnt like little dogs. We know this and dont let her off the leash where there may be a small yappy thing. A little over a year ago now, my dog was taken from me by the council because of a complaint. Walking my dog, small white mop comes up to mine, no leash and i told the.owner to get it away. She laughed it off, again i warned her and the dog got closer. My dog started walking behind me and growling then she bit the mop on the tail. She madea big fuss and it was just a bit of fluff. I told the lady she was a ######## and went home.

Long story short, 2 weeks my dog was at the rspca under "dangerous dog" when my dog did absolutely nothing wrong.

When the council come got her they claimed it was a vicious pitbull... Yeah right. Theyve got no ####ing idea and its knee jerk at its finest.

Last edited: