Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Media's new plaything - Dog attacks

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jesterarts, Sep 7, 2011.

1. commoVT

commoVT New Member

Members Ride:
    1999 VT
    i do agree with that, there are some ****ed up parents out there who don't realise until its too late.
    in saying that, take away the problem, and we wouldnt have these fatalities

2. Zeussy

Zeussy SSM11K

Members Ride:
    Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
    Take away the **** parents? So now you're talking about killing off a good portion of the local communities, world wide...?

Or just "de-sex" them?

3. Grennan

Grennan Slayer of Stupid Threads

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    Ok.

Take away cars - no road toll.
    Take away pools, oceans, bathtubs - no drownings.
    Take away bridges and maybe people wont chuck themselves off them.

...you get my point.

Every single dog has the ability to attack and kill. Whats next? Cull every dog?

4. commoVT

commoVT New Member

Members Ride:
    1999 VT
    im not saying kill ALL dogs, even not necessarily vicious dogs, as they are part of the family to some people, the results of stricter laws would also be interesting, such as jail time. like pool laws, fences are by law to constructed before the pool is installed, that way kids cant get to the pool and drown. So possibly for the council to have a routine inspection on fences/enclosures for the breeds of dog that have a reputation of attacking, could have quite a big difference.

5. Grennan

Grennan Slayer of Stupid Threads

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    The problem is the law itself and who is carrying it out. Its up to the council to determine from a visual inspection of what a dangerous dog is.

Staffy's are a placid dog, they love human contact they are very much a sook of a dog. However visually, they dont look that much different to pit bulls. If its up to some two bit council worker to determine the breed of a dog (when they came about my dog, they even called it a pit bull) youre going to have very angry people.

Im just lucky the people at the RSPCA arent as retarded as the council...

Some of our customers at work have dogs. The only dogs that I have a problem with, is the ####ing jack russel who bails me up and nips my leg as soon as i get out of the work ute.

6. commoVT

commoVT New Member

Members Ride:
    1999 VT
    yeah, hopefully they come up with a decent law and actually enforce it, its getting beyond a joke

7. Jesterarts

Jesterarts Your freedom ends where mine begins

Members Ride:
    2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
    Wait... wtf? If he's spot on then we;re back to square one. Pitbulls are not designer to kill people, v8's are not designed to kill people but both should be banned since both have the potential to kill people.

While we're at it... electricity in your house... GONE, Bathtubs? Forget about it GONE! Alcohol... well it's a poison so DEFINATELY gone.

See my point? Blanket "solutions" are ridiculous and you end up with more victims of the blanket solutions that the amount of victims the blanket solution was trying to prevent.

The solution is not banning a breed, or muzzling every dog, etc.

The solution is having process and laws around WHO is allowed these animals.

You're a drop ****, dumb **** dole bludger with a history of drug use and other crimes who wants a pitbull? Not going to happen.

You're a responsible adult with the right attitude, a house that can accomodate a large animal and have evidence to supposrt your claim you can look after and love the animal? Go for your life, get a pitbull.

The cause of all these issue are people and therefore people should be held accountable. NOT the animals who don't get to choose who their owner is or how they are treated.

Like seriously, on one hand you've got people crying foul over racial/ethnic discrimination etc while on the other they want to destory animals based on their breed.

At the same time you've got people crying over some frog in the arse end of nowhere going extinct even though touching the frog can kill a humans while on the other hand you've got people petitioning to have a species of dog made extinct.

As I said, the key thing is that it's not the animals that are the issue, it's the humans and this is the case with pretty much everything. So considering pretty much every #### up in history has been because of HUMANS, I recon it's a tad rich for us to be dictating what animals deserve to live and which don't.

8. Zeussy

Zeussy SSM11K

Members Ride:
    Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
  9. Kieran263

Kieran263 Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais Wagon 6.0 A6
    I'd like to weigh in my two cents. I come from a very small country town originally (400 people) and most people in the town own dogs,
    and because it's a farming community they are almost all working dogs (except my parents pomeranian jack russell cross) there are Kelpies
    and Koolies, blue and red heelers everywhere.

Lo and behold, none of them are aggressive in the least, because of proper training and exercise.
    And because everybody has been bought up with dogs that have the capability to mess up any animal they know how to act, the first thing
    my dad told me when we walked passed a Koolie "never go up to a strangers dog unless you ask, and always put your hand out so they can smell you"
    it really is more about training people about dogs.

With that being said if you buy a dog because you think it will make you look tough (huge problem in the next town over) you won't care enough
    about the dog to give it proper training and teach it what it isn't allowed to do.

10. franck

franck Member

Members Ride:
    vr executive 5.0 M5
    the problem with making laws is that the next day there is a black market, qualifiing for a type of dog breed ownership could never be policed, like all things that can be nasty, people that want it will always find a way, and there will always be a supplier.
    it most always comes down to the owners, parents, drivers, shooters etc etc, cars dont kill its the driver, guns dont kill its the shooter, dogs have a mind of their own, however the owners teachings, diciplines, ect comes into play. Parents and i am one of them, i have always had either a bull terrier or german sheperd, never ever left the kids with the dogs while either myself or wife was not present with them, until kids were old enough to understand its not your toy to play with, the kids have to be taught and MUST understand a certain repect for domestic animals, or for certain it will turn ugly

11. Drawnnite

Drawnnite Obviously Unsensible

Members Ride:
    2000 Vs Ute
    while we're at it. lets ban breathing. i heard you can die if their air mixture isnt just right... =P

but seriously, people who cannot t rain a dog shouldnt have one.
    if you have never been around dogs before, dont approach them and think they are all 100% perfectly tame.
    its not rocket science, but i forgot the people have a 6 pack but lack the plastic thingy holding it together need the government to decide everything for them.

12. RUF-60L

RUF-60L Donating Member

Members Ride:
    2008 VE SS
    people kill people.....so we should kill all people....whoa i just blew my own mind!

13. TrikkBen

TrikkBen I'm Back :D

Members Ride:
    BNR32
    ^^ lol....
    If everyone kills everyone... Nothing will ever go wrong.... Ahhh, A perfect world.

14. RUF-60L

RUF-60L Donating Member

Members Ride:
    2008 VE SS
    but then u wouldnt be around to enjoy it...mindf**k right? :p

15. TrikkBen

TrikkBen I'm Back :D

Members Ride:
    BNR32
    Can you feel my dick?? haha

16. 328FTW

328FTW New Member

Members Ride:
    VN SS
    Conclusion?

Ban V8 pitbulls

17. bogan_vk

bogan_vk New Member

Members Ride:
    commodore
    i believe it the owners fault, nearly every pitty owner ive known has kicked the **** out of them all their life in an attempt to make them vicious ,of course their going to attack someone when not treated right by an irresponsable / cruel owner "simply out of fear" ,i have also been attacked by a german shephard before just walking down the street it was out (another irresponsible owner letting a vicious dog run free) and simply came up to me an started to really viciously attack me without any provocation at all (i even crossed the street before the attack to avoid this dog) .so in short if youve got a dog treat it right and if its vicious dont allow it to roam the streets by itself because the next dog that attacks me ill cut the owners ####ing head off not the dogs....the dogs shouldnt get put down its the irresponsible owners that should, just my 2c worth

18. Rufys

Rufys Banned

Members Ride:
    VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
    You are completely ignorant. The size of the dog has NOTHING to do with their behavior. You need to get a clue buddy!

19. acarmody

acarmody Donati..Whoa Green

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina
    I had to LOL at the ignorance that larger dog are for appearance, and that they are more aggressive. I have a German Sheppard X Rottweiler, never harmed anyone in her life.

We live up the road from the local primary school, so a lot of young kids walk past our house all the time. We have a open, bare, front yard and 1 metre tall pool fencing separating the front from the back, with no lock. Anyway one day some stupid little kid opened the fence to pat my dog. I had no idea my dog was out until the school called me (phone number on collar), apparently my dog was getting the patting of her lifetime from many kids down in the school playground, not one bark, nip, or bite, even when one kid tried to ride her like a pony or something (??? WTF), and she was pulled all over the place. Yeah my dog sure sounds like a killer!

20. Troy711

Troy711 Retired Old Fart Staff Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
    I lean both ways on the subject. I reckon it's about 80% the owners fault and 20% due to the bread. Dogs that are (well, were) bred for their vicious temperament still have that deeply seeded in them today however if that breed is properly trained you will never have an issue with it. It's when you get feral bogans who think that "Ima gettin' me a pitty... gunna flog him 'ard so no bastard comes near me yard" is when you will have a dog attack. Look at Ceaser Milans pitbull, Daddy. I've seen that dog get almost attack and it didn't react. It's

Personally I'd never own a pitbull, bull terrier or the likes as I don't trust myself enough to be able to keep their temperament in check.