Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mega Urgent Problem: Auto Stalling Hardcore

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Hello guys, i have a mega problem. My VN exec auto keeps stalling, when overtaking, when crossing intersections, when on the highway ALL THE TIME. AND LAST NIGHT ALMOST KILLED ME! I was overtaking a bus on the wrong side of the road and ended up stalling and rolled past it just before a herd of oncoming cars. A forklift mechanic at work mentioned it may be a petrol filter problem... So i replaced that and it still happens. Then I was told it may be bad petrol, so i put high octane and it still does it! It tends to happen ALOT more when i am giving it some, but even after i stop, just keeps stalling. And even when driving sensible. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. Usually before it happens the engine hazard light comes on.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
your idle air control valve might not be working so when you take your foot off the throttle it chokes the engine of air and stalls???

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
hmm, how do i go about seeing if that is the problem or fixing it.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
well do you have to have your foot on the throttle at startup??? does it idle??

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
the car can idle, but often just stops. And when it does idle it aint smooth. When I startup i dont use the pedal at all. Just a turn of the key.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
how about when you stab the throttle and take your foot off straight away??

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Hmm from memory I believe that happens alot of the time. But also alot of the time it does whilst throttling

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
If the engine light is coming on, then I'd suggest that you check the fault code that is being logged. There are how-to instructions almost everywhere, have a bit of a search.

Might be a coil pack playing up, might be leads, might be IACV...check the codes.

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
mouce said:
If the engine light is coming on, then I'd suggest that you check the fault code that is being logged. There are how-to instructions almost everywhere, have a bit of a search.

Might be a coil pack playing up, might be leads, might be IACV...check the codes.

Will do, Thanks mate

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
I have found the problem. There was not enough air to fuel. I was at work comparing my engine to a mate who has the rough idling problem aswell and noticed that my air intake was still the wack old one from the gas. It has a big drum looking thing in it half way which is the air mixture something, then we noticed on the bit of pipe between the air mixture thing and the engine was a stubie holder type thing, and when we pulled that back there is 3 big ass holes drilled in it! I dont understand what its for but i covered it with duct tape and am just fiddling with the ammount of air going through the air mixture thing with the adjustment screw on it. Im not definate this is the problem and that im fixing it but its a start so if you have any suggestion please tell me.
Also off the topic, if your VN didnt have rear speakers stock, where would I find the wires for them. Thanks