Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Melbourne: Car Systems and Installs. Can u Recommend Any Places to me?

DeathVZaudiO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Exec Sedan
I want to put a new system in my VZ sedan, Head unit, splits in the front doors, 2 ways in the back doors running off a 4 channel, 2 x 12's in a box in the boot running off a monoblock. Dont think i'll worry about the parcel shelf.

Preferrably all of the same brand be it Alpine or Pioneer etc etc

Can anyone recommend a place that does good installs without butchering my car.

Good prices would be awesome too.

Just went to Autobarn in Hoppers Crossing and they wanted $1850 for a whole pioneer setup of decent proportion (what i outlined above) and i would supply my Pioneer Carbon Fibre 2 x 12's in a box all that i already have.

AUSFITTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SS series 2
You should do it yourself mate, its not that hard to set up yourself. The hardest part would be tuning it, and even that isnt that difficult.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Where to start....

Don't worry about what one person thinks of an instalation centre, people are likely to tell you all about the bad experiences they had, and why you shouldn't go some where. Ignore this. If you are really serious about having something properly installed, go into a few installation centres, and talk to the installers. Ask them if you can see some of their work, or what their working on at the moment. A good installer will be happy to take the time out to talk to you (or otherwise arrange a time when they are not so busy) and to show around to some of the work they are doing. Also remember, you can request that a certain installer do the work for you. Some where might have 3 installers, 2 of which basically couldn't give a ****, about you, or your car, while the 3rd guy, might live and breathe car audio, and wouldn't think about doing anything less than a perfect job. Something to think about....

Secondly, all one brand?? Your obviously new to the audio scene, so i'll try and explain it in easy to understand terms, as to why we don't generally reccomend this...

Lets say you and i both make car audio components. Now my brand, i make some of the best head units on the market, as far as bang for your buck is concerned. My speakers are rated as being some of the best out there aswell. However when it comes to my subs, and amps, i have a very limited range, and do not offer the type of performance levels found by some other manafactuers.

Your speakers and Head units on the other hand, aren't the greatest,as it's not your main focus. But your subs and amps are amongst some of the best that money can buy. Now would it not make sense to grab the best components, from both of our brands, and then put them together? Of course it would.You need to look beyond the brand/ appearance, when buying something. Let you ears do the deciding. At the end of the day, it isn't what you see in the car, it's what you hear.

Other than that, pretty much just take your time, and don't rush things. Listen to as many different componets as you can. Also remember, when being shown something on a demo board, ask questions like which amp is running these speakers, or this sub now? A lot of the time, you will hear something in a store, but when they offer you the package deal, the amp is not the one you heard on the board.Or ask that they play the music through some of the head units that you are considering, or are within your price range. A lot of store's will go straight to the highest end head unit, when demonstrating something.

Last edited:

DeathVZaudiO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Exec Sedan
Hey thanx, ive actually been around for a while and usually have done my own thing, engines, stereos and so on. im not great at it but im not crud either. Im not talking about top end stuff for the stereo mid range, blastin in the car, that'll do. The install itself is only costin me $400 (at Autobarn) which is great because of the crazy hours i work and my band being on tour, the time and the space i have now is hopeless for doin this stuff the way i would want it done including the single din pocket, all new speaker wire and piece of mind where if it stuffs up i can go back.
I get what u mean about mixing brands, i have mixed alot of brands over the years. I would like to have one that is all one brand but in saying that Y not pay the same money and have something better, thanks for that point.
Thats y i voice my points on here, its good to break my 1 track mind and get a steer in the right direction.
So theres my reason for an install guys, latest commodore i have done personally is a VR, I really dont have the time to nut out VZ. It most definatly is much easier to pay a 3rd party with warranty to fit this, i just want a bit of a push in the right direction of where to go.

Cheers
Its worth a try

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
without being biased, autobarn, freeway car audio, garys car radio, gl pro sound, street sound and vision are probably the leaders in professional installations. I work for one of these companies and own a vz berlina, keep in mind that using the same type of speaker front and rear is important for acoustical phasing.

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Which side of Melbourne are you in?

Ive heard very good things about Brett at Performance Car Audio in Bayswater. Ive seen some of his work first hand, and it seems to be good quality. He has personally spent a lot on his own sound systems, so he is doing it as a passion as opposed to a business. (Obviously he needs to make money, but he got into it becuase of his passion for car audio, as opposed to a way to make money).

Personally i dont trust some of the bigger places, as some of the guys working there are pretty crappy. At least in the smaller businesses word of mouth is important to them, so they'll usually spend a little more time and care.

Of course there can be small places which are worse.

DeathVZaudiO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Exec Sedan
without being biased, autobarn, freeway car audio, garys car radio, gl pro sound, street sound and vision are probably the leaders in professional installations. I work for one of these companies and own a vz berlina, keep in mind that using the same type of speaker front and rear is important for acoustical phasing.

I dont mind Luke, talk it up, i need somewhere good to go.

DeathVZaudiO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Exec Sedan
Which side of Melbourne are you in?

Ive heard very good things about Brett at Performance Car Audio in Bayswater. Ive seen some of his work first hand, and it seems to be good quality. He has personally spent a lot on his own sound systems, so he is doing it as a passion as opposed to a business. (Obviously he needs to make money, but he got into it becuase of his passion for car audio, as opposed to a way to make money).

Personally i dont trust some of the bigger places, as some of the guys working there are pretty crappy. At least in the smaller businesses word of mouth is important to them, so they'll usually spend a little more time and care.

Of course there can be small places which are worse.

Very valid point, thankyou man.

kicker12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
i agree with the comment about the bigger places, i won't name the company i used..but it was a large company that did my install initially for my car, they put in my 6 by 9's, 5 channel amp, sub and my set of splits.

after the install i thought it was fine, it was much better than stock at least. about 6 months down the track i decided i wanted an upgrade, so i bought a much better set of splits off someone on these forums and took it to another place to install this time for no real reason. anyway so i took the car in, the guy called at the end of the day to say he was done but it wasn't very good..

when i got in he explained that the initial install was rushed, the wiring was done the wrong way round and the hi\low converters were jammed in. all this caused only the right side of my speakers to work, which i hadn't noticed somehow :S

he told me that my speakers were really good, and they just weren't sounding as good as they should so he offered to take my car back the next day and re-wire it free of charge because his job was to "make my car sound good as it could but it just didn't" and those were his words. i know this is biased coz iv'e had a good experience there but i always recommend my mates to get their car audio done there and will definitely go back there when i feel like upgrading my system, and the prices are very competitive too..

oh and also when my mate took his new splits to get installed at the same joint about a month ago the exact same thing happened to him, and they re-wired his car free of charge coz the install was dodgy, so they seem to be consistent with making customers happy.

anyhow, feel free to pm me if you want more details to suss it out, cant hurt to explore your options.
cheers

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
If I was to get an install done by a shop I'd go to Phatt Audio Concepts. The work that comes out of there is some of the best in the industry!

Phatt Audio Concepts - Craftsmen Of Car Sound - Home

I've also have a couple of systems done by GL Pro Sound and would go back there (great customer service by the boys there).

GL Pro Sound | 178 Keilor Road, Essendon North, Ph: 03 9379 1222

:D

Oh and if you want to see some pictures of how stuff should be done, check out the work that comes out of FHRX in Sydney. The attention to detail on even the smallest setup is mind boggling...

http://www.fhrxstudios.com/