Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Melbournes Bushfires

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Charg'd, Dec 9, 2006.

1. padrickz88

padrickz88 Rick =]

Members Ride:
    VN V6, nothing special
    DAMN! not good to hear that, but atleast he went trying to do a good thing for other people and im sure alot of people will respect him for that and he deserves it,
    and to all the fireys on this site, you's are hero's:D if it wasnt for you's alot of people would be dead, and if they wernt alot of houses and memories would be lost, even though im not from the country i know that firefighters are a great bunch of people because they saved our house from going up when our shed caught on fire a couple years ago... will always have respect for fire fighters, ambulance drivers and the good boys in blue:) good work boys(or girls)..:D

2. Outlaw Torn

Outlaw Torn New Member

Members Ride:
    91 FORD EA Falcon (So sue me)
    what im curious about....

NZ firemen/women are being paid to go over and assist. fine, nothing wrong with that at all :thumbsup: :thumbsup: but, whats stopping alot of the population being vigilante enough to go and assist? As far as i know the fire brigades over in australia are screaming out for reinforcements... so whats stopping the general public getting stuck in and helping.

Another idea.. unemployed people.... they need money, fire brigade needs help..... solves both.

Just something ive been thinking about.

3. pandaman

pandaman Aussie Muscle Fan

Members Ride:
    VN Berlina 5.0 A4
    Plenty of people help out, some in the "vigilante" style as you say. Those types are mainly the ones who stay and defend their homes/friends homes with the garden hoses, wet towels, and the insane obsession with standing on the roof. :D In rural areas there are also a lot of people who have "slip on" tanks and pumpsets that they can chuck on the back of the ute and go assist. Out west I've heard that those guys are pretty much the first response force. They've helped us out in my area more than once.

It's great when people want to lend a hand and quite often it's very useful. However, it would be completely out of the question (usually anyway) for an untrained member of the public to jump on a truck and get out on the fireline. It's far too dangerous and would just pose one more difficulty for the trained crew having to keep an eye on the noob while working.

The whole work fire brigade work for unemployed dudes is a great idea, work for the dole doing something useful! Don't see it happening though, the pollies prefer to have the work for the dole guys doing **** work so that they have some motivation to get a real job.

4. holdensupporter2005

holdensupporter2005 Member

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
    to become a volunteer over here you have to do 6 months of training, which would mean that a lot of people would be helpless this fire season!!! [​IMG]

5. fatboy2869

fatboy2869 New Member

Members Ride:
    VH SL/E 1982 commodore/WB ute x2 VP commodore

OK i think that u will find that the fireys from NZ are a mix of paid and Volo's same as what the Qld Fire strike teams they sent to NSW last week and the week before. Also as others have said your avagre joe blow of the street jumping onto a fire tanker to lend a hand there are alot of things to consider OH&S for one Insurance another and the saftey. While i sit back and watch the news i so want to go down ther of my own bat and offer my help to the Vic CFA but i wont becouse i will wait till they start calling for crews to came from my own area and i have been as i said a firefighter for 16 years and i see alot of fireys on the news that are just wiped out from weeks on the fire line and i have spoken to friends of mine that are fireys in Vic and they say that they are just so graetfull for the interstate help and the Army help that they are getting

6. fatboy2869

fatboy2869 New Member

Members Ride:
    From the yahoo 7 news web site sad new and i wishthe NZ fireys a speedy recovery

Saturday December 16, 04:57 PM
    NZ firefighters hurt in Victoria blaze
    A number of New Zealand firefighters have been injured while battling blazes on campsites north of Melbourne.

A Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) spokesman said the men were taken to Mansfield Hospital following "the incident" which occurred about 2.30pm (AEDT) Saturday.

The firefighters were battling a blaze at the Tobacco Flat campsites near Sheepyard Flat in the Mansfield area.

He could not provide further details of how many firefighters were hurt or the extent of their injuries.

Rural Ambulance spokesman John Mullen said six firefighters had been caught in a burn-over.

"As a result one has critical burns," Mr Mullen said.

Four of the firefighters suffered burns and smoke inhalation while another suffered smoke inhalation.

All six were airlifted out of the region then taken by road to Mansfield Hospital.

The critically injured man is expected to be airlifted to Melbourne.

7. Outlaw Torn

Outlaw Torn New Member

Members Ride:
    91 FORD EA Falcon (So sue me)
    Yes, but unofficial volunteered help. I did not mean that they would become proper firemen/women. Just that they get the basics so they are immediately helpful/put to use. Im sure most people given a brief rundown on how things work, ie fire hoses, stamping fires etc would be able to catch on as to what needs to be done. This way they would be useful inside of a day.

8. fatboy2869

fatboy2869 New Member

Members Ride:
    It is not as easy as that OH&S would have a pink fit so would most brigade's and there members i for one do not want to go into fire's like they have in Vic/NSW/Tas with ppl that have little to no exprinace and have know idear what they are doing its hard for firefighters that have been doing it for years let alone ppl that have not gone through the trainning like everone else

9. Julie

Julie moderator- for now anyway

Members Ride:
    Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
    Some mongrels deserve to get shot, last night while I was asleep someone deliberately lit a fire in the bush across the road from my house, and in a couple of other locations in my suburb. My hubby was at work but come home to pick up some stuff and seen it and alerted the fire brigade. First day of the school holidays here, I hope this isn't a sign of whats to come :mad:

10. pandaman

pandaman Aussie Muscle Fan

Members Ride:
    VN Berlina 5.0 A4
    hahaha, school holidays, the season of grass fires, tip fires and pipebombs. And the hippies say corporal punishment is unnecessary. :D