Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Melbournes Bushfires

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
My backyard shot taken yesterday morning.

Where you see the smoke in the background, that is all treed.

Last edited:

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
i just heard that tassie is getting smoky from the fires here... that just goes 2 show how freakin big these fires are! i didnt take pics or anything but as i was goin over the westgate bridge lunchtime yesterday, i couldnt see anything but the road in front of me! no city, no ground below, NOTHING! was really creepy! i hope the fireys get it under control safely!!

Tassie got the smoke from last years fires, and from what I've heard those fires were nowhere near as bad as this years.

I lived in Longford which is approx 30k's south of Launceston, and last year, it was smokey as, from the fires.

EDIT: Well, once again....It's 1vngal.

fatboy2869

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 1982 commodore/WB ute x2 VP commodore
i just heard that tassie is getting smoky from the fires here... that just goes 2 show how freakin big these fires are! i didnt take pics or anything but as i was goin over the westgate bridge lunchtime yesterday, i couldnt see anything but the road in front of me! no city, no ground below, NOTHING! was really creepy! i hope the fireys get it under control safely!!

Mate i think you will find that Tassie has there own fires running and thats where there smoke is comming from been taking today to mates in Tassie that are fire fighter and they are on standby

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
They were saying on ABC radio up here today that this is expected to be the worst bushfire year that Victoria has ever experienced. Even worse than the 1939 fires, Ash Wednesday, or the 2003 fires that raged through the North East & Gippsland areas. There was also mention that they could burn for weeks if not months if we don't get any rain.

And its gotten this way because of human intervention. Bushfires are a natural part of how the bush rejuvinates and here we are trying to prevent this natural process. Then it gets to the point where even we can't control it anymore.

I say let them burn. If you live in bushfire prone areas you should certainly be willing to lose your home to fire. If you're not, then you shouldn't be living there.

fatboy2869

Reaction score
Members Ride
For all those that are interested here is a map of where the Vic fires are sent to me this morning.

NSWRFS have sent strike teams to Vic total of 180 firefighters runnig day/night shift as well as command personal here is the link NSW Rural Fire Service

PDF Map

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
While you say Bravotwozero about it being natural for fires to start and rejuvinate, when it comes to human lives and property, I think it's an important reason to fight them, but I know where you are coming from. It's just another natural process that human beings want to interfere with.

But good on the firefighters out there. They do a great job. My cousin went the other day and left at 6am and didn't come back to his wife and kids until 1am. It's a long day, everyday and it's not going to get better. This is just the beginning I think. We have just started summer.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
While you say Bravotwozero about it being natural for fires to start and rejuvinate, when it comes to human lives and property, I think it's an important reason to fight them, but I know where you are coming from. It's just another natural process that human beings want to interfere with.

But good on the firefighters out there. They do a great job. My cousin went the other day and left at 6am and didn't come back to his wife and kids until 1am. It's a long day, everyday and it's not going to get better. This is just the beginning I think. We have just started summer.

Well yes. I don't mean to trivialise what the fire fighters are doing out there. Because yes, they are doing an awesome job. But human casualties can be avoided be not getting in their paths. The last real bad fires we had up here about 10 years ago, you'd be surprised by how many people a) weren't prepared for fires, b) didn't even have their homes insured.

There were quite a few cases of people without home insurance having their homes razed. I personally think you're mad if you don't have insurance no matter where you live, but you're totally insane if you don't have it in a high fire risk area.

For the record I live in a high fire danger area and to be honest, if a big fire came through here, staying around trying to save it would be fruitless. There's only so much a garden hose can do. Sure you can make preperations, but realistically, I wouldn't expect my property to survive a wild fire.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
It doesn't really make sense to say that.. i feel sorry for them... thats there job, i mean they enjoy that sort of thing. If they didn't they wouldn't do it. Same with coppers... i mean people say that they feel sorry for them having to deal with that... well i dont, im happy that they are doing what they enjoy. Fighting crime. THey want that, they get, good! i mean they want to fight fires... they enjoy it... meh...

The smkoe it pretty bad on the peninsula

aZk.

its not cool when you dont see your dad for 5 days missing out on spending christmas with his kids/family etc, that was in 2002 with the nowra fires, he does love his job though

nomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina wagon.
Overnight, the fires in the Alpine region joined up with the ones south of here, so now we have twice as much smoke in town. But then we are less than 100 kms from all these fires. I feel sorry for the people who live where the fires are, as I can imagine the amount of smoke they are having to put up with.
This was taken about 7 this morning.

Attachments

• PC120011.JPG
    PC120011.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 124

fatboy2869

Reaction score
Members Ride