Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Memcal ID Tool

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
I thought id let everyone here know about a program ive been working on, this program is nothing new and not hugely special but i guess there's been some come and go over the years and have never done the job properly, i had some time available so i thought id do one up and wrap it up properly, even if your not into tuning you might find this useful.

This tool contains all holden memcal information that i have been able to find, also contains bins and xdf's.

Thanks to all the guys at delcohacking for there help and for hosting the program, Providing the files and also ID Tool.

Download and Changelog can be found here
Memcal ID Tool

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
thats not bad. well done mate

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I have been to the delcohacking site many times but there is no intro of what is what, they just jump straight in and talk about things I have no idea what they are talking about.

Wouldn't mind giving it a go my self if someone broke it down for people that are not familiar with the terms and explained what everything is.

vc81

Reaction score
Members Ride
vc commodore
I have been to the delcohacking site many times but there is no intro of what is what, they just jump straight in and talk about things I have no idea what they are talking about.

Wouldn't mind giving it a go my self if someone broke it down for people that are not familiar with the terms and explained what everything is.

Here here mate I'm with you there. Would be awesum if somebody could do that.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
Ill help where i can, i understand where you guys are coming from i went through the same thing, problem is there is only limited people available to hold your hand so to speak and they are all busy trying to break down bins and ecu code so we can get more out of it and also start defining new models vx,vy etc so people can start tuning them using factory delco ecu's instead of paying $1000's for a aftermarket ecu or they are to busy trying to make money back from all the 1000's of hrs spent getting it all working in the first place which is fine :)

Problem is it's not like carby days change a screw and ya done, it's much more complex then that now, fire away i can't guarantee i know everything im still learning!

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto

Read this for starters delcohacking.net • View topic - Getting Started Guide

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Yes thats the one I read about x10, I get lost in that very easily.

For example from the first few lines I cant even tell what the ECM and PCM is.

"the ECM is stored on the EPROM that is part of the memcal" I cant tell if ECM is hardware or software from that description. I do know what the EPROM and memcal are though.

PCM = Powertrain Control Module, reading about that it sounds like softare but the M on PCM leads me to belive it is hardware. Then the term CPU and another chip called the FMD, it says what it is but I cant even make out if it is relevant or not or if I am trying to understand so many things at once and 90% of it I don't even know while I should be concentrating on the important bits.

Something more along the lines of:

ECU =
Memcal =
EPROM =

For example would be good for beginners (most people should know what they are anyway but just in case they don't).

Basiclly they need a memcal to start with or if they want to go through the trouble soldering they could use a EPROM.

Then what PC board they need and some details about it, like myself I don't even know if I can use it in only a pc or can you get them with USB cables ect?

Then the programs to use and how to do it, probably start with how to copy existing tunes and then go in to a little detail of how to tweek tunes and what does what ect.

All the current info at once goes straight over my head and I know I'm not the only one, I have talked to others too and they cant work out heads from tails and would rather pay $200-300 for a tune that try and decipher that getting started guide.

I think the guide is good, it does have a ton of information but it seems like some guy knows tons about everything memcal related and is showing off what he knows and losing everyone in the process. Kind of like when you start talking to your grandmother about your fully sick RB30 running 15 psi, ported and polished heads, even going in to details of cam specs and and bores and quarter mile times and going on and on. If they dont understand you cant just go in the deep end and give them info they dont need to know. She will probably only remember its a shiny red car anyway.

I know its not brain surgery but to me trying to read and understand all that at the moment it might as well be.

More to the point assuming people know what the memcal is something along the lines of this..

-Where to source memcals (wreckers, ebay ect)
-PC board needed, possibly where to get and how to identify the one they need.
-Software needed to copy existing tunes and how to do it.
-Anything else needed to know.. baby steps with tunerpro?

Im not knocking anything on the site and I am sure it is all relevant in 1 way or another but knowing what I need to know and what I dont need to know for now would make a big difference.

For example if I was to watch you or anyone for that matter copy some good tunes over to a memcal, I could probably copy them myself after watching 1-3 times. It would probably be something like plug in the memcal to the pc board, erase data, copy new data files, done?

From there, understanding the basic things in detail without going over board and overloaded with information would be a better introduction than brushing it off because it all seems to hard. Once someone could do that and understand a little more they could progress on to data logging, real time tuning or using tunerpro in whatever order is easiest.

I admire VL400 for putting all the info out there to share with everyone but even explaining leads to more confusion. I think it would be very good to do my own tunes but at this stage it seems impossible.

I could probably just get what I need and ask people for advice along the way but I am sure it would drive them crazy with the amount of questions, especily if I was PM'ing them 4-5 times a day for things that are simple to them, they would end up saying go search for it on delcohacking and I would be back at square 1.

Sorry for the huge rant but I can assure you most people feel the same way and are unable to get a start because they cant get around all the technical specs and terms to start with, if it was "do this do that do this and that" I know tons of people would give it a go them self for a small amount and then learning and progressing rather than everyone putting it in the too hard basket and flooding tuners on here with enquiries that have got sick of doing tunes for other people, are too busy, dont have inbox space or any other reason they cant do it.

I think maybe I went in to too much detail trying to explain but I'm just trying to point out why the general majority of JC users including my self have never gone though with trying to start out. After all it is scary stuff if you jump right in the middle and do serious damage to your motor and easier to pay someone than risk that. If it was explained simply little at time I would have been copying stock tunes a long time ago and probably progressed further and have a better understanding. Information overload put me off.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Ill help where i can, i understand where you guys are coming from i went through the same thing, problem is there is only limited people available to hold your hand so to speak and they are all busy trying to break down bins and ecu code so we can get more out of it and also start defining new models vx,vy etc so people can start tuning them using factory delco ecu's instead of paying $1000's for a aftermarket ecu or they are to busy trying to make money back from all the 1000's of hrs spent getting it all working in the first place which is fine :)

Problem is it's not like carby days change a screw and ya done, it's much more complex then that now, fire away i can't guarantee i know everything im still learning!

LOL! I should have read this before my big ass post.

Easier to ask questions here than PM?

I only have 2-3 questions atm.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
ok

ECM/ECU is Engine Control Module / Unit (whichever works for you)
PCM is Powertrain Control Module (electronic auto gearbox)

Some ecu's are manual only so it's just a ECM or ECU, no automatic controlling capabilities.

Auto control is both in memcal and ecu. You can change some tunes from auto to manual just by checking a flag in tunerpro. Like VS V6 ecu's can run either a auto box or a manual/getrag, You can't really change a manual tune to auto there's just to much missing.

To start with download tunerpro 5 RT, there's a link to the download in the about page on the latest version of the memcal id tool, ive just updated the link in it because it just came out of beta.

Next thing to do is note this,

BIN = Copy of Memcal Data
$PROGRAM ID = Type of bin file and how values inside are referenced
XDF = File to use in Tunerpro, XDF references program id so you need matching xdf for bin, xdf contains the references needed so you can see real world values converted on your screen (instead of seeing binary data or hex)
$ = Hex reference

So next step, open memcal ID, pick a vehicle to have a play with, so VR V6 manual for example if you look in memcal id tool under VRV6 and pick BLCD it's program ID is $12, which means you need a XDF $12 file to be able to reference the bin so you can be able to edit it.

So hit XDF button on that screen, copy the link and go into tunerpro and hit the XDF menu and select XDF, then goto the location you copied and open the relevant $ xdf file.

Next step, go back to memcal ID and hit Bin button, copy the location go back to tunerpro and go file open bin and go to the location you copied go $12 and select the BLCD.

Now you will have a screen where on the left is all the options, this is stuff you can edit, it will be defined into FLAGS, SCALERS, TABLES

One thing to remember with this is if you want to alter one thing, it will probably take 5 different things to make it happen, have a play and dont save any changes, if you want to save your changed bin save as so you keep the memcal bins stock in memcal ID tool.

To be able to get your bin into the vehicle you need a eprom burner, i use a Willem GQ-4X, prob one of the best value burners on the market, some cheaper ones require you to change jumpers and stuff and i just think it gets messy and is a pain, usually im doing a burn on the run so i want to chuck a memcal in and do it.

If your doing stock chips and are not changing the eprom chip from uv to ee then you will also need a uv eraser to wipe the eprom so you can program it again, i just use the $10 ones on ebay from china.

eprom = needs uv to erase
eeprom = electronicly erasable in programmer

You will need a adaptor to interface you memcal chip to the programmer, otherwise you will need to desolder the chip from the memcal which can get messy, i make and sell the adaptors for both holden memcal types. Picture below of VS memcal on the burner with interface adaptor.

memcaladaptor3.JPG