Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Memcal programming problem

Discussion in 'V6 Development And Modification' started by GeorgeM, Feb 23, 2018.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Commodore
    I'm having problems programming a VR memcal. The chip is a 014 67633 which I believe is a 27C512. I have erased it using UV and it shows up as empty but when I try to program using a Willem programmer it just keeps giving an error. I have selected the 27C512 as the device and reset all the dip switches and have hit a dead end. In the past I have programmed around 25 of the VN style memcals with the 27C128 chip without problems using the same gear.
    Any ideas would be helpfull or even someone around Brisbane that could take it on as a job.

2. immortality

immortality Moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    I had similar issues with a Willem programmer using VS ecotec memcals. In the end I found the memcals needed longer under the UV eraser even though they did read as blank. I now use some eucalyptus cleaner to ensure the little window is nice and clean and I changed to a more modern programmer. I also use EEProms when ever possible as it reduces the hassles and problems.

3. GeorgeM

GeorgeM New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Commodore
    I'll give it a double go under the UV and clean the window. I do have an 27SF512 on order but was hoping to get it going over the weekend and it will take a while to get here. Can you recommend a better programmer.

4. delcowizzid

delcowizzid on holiday

Members Ride:
    в∞ѕтεכ √&
    Erase for 5-6 minutes and don't blank check I found my William would error if I blank checked before writing.gqx-4 is a good programmer or there' s smaller minipro tl866cs programmer work mint for cheap on ebay

5. GeorgeM

GeorgeM New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Commodore
    I'll give it one more try but I think if I erase to many times I may kill it.
    I ordered one of the TL866cs programmers yesterday, should get it next week and hoping the Willem hasn't killed the 27C512 in the mean time.

6. delcowizzid

delcowizzid on holiday

Members Ride:
    в∞ѕтεכ √&
    I've erased and programmed some over 100 times should be fine just don' erase to long they hate that.long time since I used the willem you might need to adjust the programming Us speed a bit higher for the 27c512 I used to on some chips

7. GeorgeM

GeorgeM New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Commodore
    Willem settings are
    twp 140 us
    twc 20 us.
    What would you suggest for faster settings?
    Also I read somewhere you need the supply voltage to be 6.25 to program. I tried moving the supply jumper for 6.2 volts but the program gives me an error message.

8. delcowizzid

delcowizzid on holiday

Members Ride:
    в∞ѕтεכ √&
    Try 280 and 30 see if it verifys after

9. GeorgeM

GeorgeM New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Commodore
    Tried those setting but didn't seem to help. I tried to read the chip after the failed write and it shows up as all FF's in the buffer, almost like nothing is getting in.
    May have to wait till new TL866 turns up or I'll end up bald.

10. delcowizzid

delcowizzid on holiday

Members Ride:
    в∞ѕтεכ √&
    Sounds like a bad connection to the chip.but what software version is it 97.ja

11. GeorgeM

GeorgeM New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Commodore
    Version .98D5 and I also found a newer version .98D12 but there was no difference. I have 2 of the Willem's and neither will do it and also tried a new parallel cable as well as changing port bios setting in computer from EPS to EPP to Standard with no luck. Have an extra 27C512 chip from an old PC motherboard that I've tried as well. Did try a newer Win10 pc but couldn't get the correct port address for it to communicate. I also tried it on USB power as well as 12v ac but no luck. i'm starting to think buggered chips or buggered Willems.

12. stoney1only2001

stoney1only2001 New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden VU S pack 2002
    @delcowizzid how much would you charge for a tune on a L67 VU ute with manual setup, just converting it to manual but I need a chip, I have the L67 ecu and VU v6 ecu, so whatever works best i can supply? I didn’t know how to private message you

13. delcowizzid

delcowizzid on holiday

Members Ride:
    в∞ѕтεכ √&
    Messaged you

14. GeorgeM

GeorgeM New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Commodore
    Just an update.
    The TL866 arrived yesterday and worked well. Only issue was it told me the chip ID was incorrect for the 67633 chip but disabling the check ID got the programing done. Just got to see if it will run without the body computer and alarm connected as it is a race car.

15. GeorgeM

GeorgeM New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Commodore
    I have the car running but my question now is there any changes needed to the Memcal to run it without an Oxy sensor and without the Knock sensor. The motor is fitted into an off road car so there is no requirement to meet any emission test. Haven't got to a dyno as yet but it seems to sign off around 4000 rpm with little top end power.

16. delcowizzid

delcowizzid on holiday

Members Ride:
    в∞ѕтεכ √&
    You can turn off the error codes for the 02s as for the knock sensors I would leave them turned on you can desensitize them in the tune but they are good should you suck air or have the fuel pump start dieing or if you get it a bit hot .are you logging data from the ecu and seeing a lot of knock or nah

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  17. GeorgeM

GeorgeM New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Commodore
    I'll go through TunerPro and have a look at the setting for the O2. My main concern without O2 was the ECU would not revert to the fuel map base setting and go into some strange limp mode.
    As far as data loging I don't think I have the gear to do it. Any changes so far have been to remove memcal , make changes and put it back in and try.

18. delcowizzid

delcowizzid on holiday

Members Ride:
    в∞ѕтεכ √&
    Just need an aldl cable to plug into the diagnostic socket then can log all the sensors with tunerpro

19. delcowizzid

delcowizzid on holiday

Members Ride:
    в∞ѕтεכ √&
  20. GeorgeM

GeorgeM New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Commodore
    I'll have to check on the car to see if it still has the ALDL port as the loom has been cut down to a bare minimum. With a EEprom fitted can the tune be changed through the ALDA port with TunerPro? I'll check out that post.
    Thanks.