Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Memcal socket install

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
1. Ok Picture one is your basic memcal

2. This is the tabs you lift to remove the blue cover

3. Memcal without it's cover

4. Side view, showing v6 chips under knock board

5. Tools and socket we are going to install, remember, take a picture or write down where everything is and what direction it is facing before you pull them off

6. Use a butter knife of something like that to lift the knock board as you unsolder it's legs, don't worry the pins it's soldered too can lift up and then you push them back down with the soldering iron as it melts the solder

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,673
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,632
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,776
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,763
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 2,053
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,969
Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Part Two

7. Knock sensor is off and do the same to the eprom, starting on one end, go side to side as you gently? lift the eprom, it takes a couple of runs down from each end and then it will come off

8. Lifting the eprom

9. Eprom and knock sensor removed, socket installed

10. Everything plugged back in, just solder the legs of the socket in before you put the eprom back in the socket and solder the legs of the knock sensor back into the memcal (when you solder the knock sensor board in, try to move it as far back in it's pins original slots as you can so you have access to lift the eprom out to swap eproms, 1 extra mm helps :) )

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,603
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,412
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,590
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,541
Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Ok the whole point of putting a socket in there is so you can either, install a Atmel 29c256 flashable eprom in place of the UV light original and then you can use an adpater to plug your memcal straight into your eprom burner and reflash your program in a couple seconds, or you can just lift the eprom out and plug in a different one, the socket just makes life easier

Later on I'll make a little guide on how to make a VN performance chip in tunerpro 4, just with screenshots and stuff like that

Another thing, since if you really want to go fast the last thing you need is a knock sensor, you can just leave the knock board off and we will disable the error code in the memcal later on

Last edited:

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Awesome guide Greenfoam, Very simple and shows exactly what you need to do. Very Nice :)

Cheers
Mat

VN-88

fiery red vn manual
Reaction score
victoria , lakes entrance, u live there tell me!!
Members Ride
vn v6 s1 manual
wat have i got... ??

hey guys/greenfoam

ive been told i have a power chip, i finnaly pulled it out too check, here is everything that is written on it, i also have a pic, can u tell me if its anything special, and if so wat it does ect? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

ok so it says

on the brown base part i had written - 68767 8951
on the chip thing with a white sticker it has written - cmm668
on the blue part in a on a gold sticker as u see it says - powerchip
on the nock sensor i think its called it says - sh9311

so anyhelp guys

Attachments

• 06-11-05_2058.jpg
    06-11-05_2058.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,291

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Well it's a custom chip of some description : ) chances are it's a early powerchip, I just say that because I don't think they would use a white sticker like that anymore to cover the eproms window. Is it anything special? probably not :) but might be worth a few kw's

VN-88

fiery red vn manual
Reaction score
victoria , lakes entrance, u live there tell me!!
Members Ride
vn v6 s1 manual
thanks for that green, but i wish i could find out exactly if it does much... is ther eanyway off finding out wat it does, or how many killowatts it gives me, or its value,

i dont no much about memcals so im just happy mine has a better one...

but what id really like to no is if there would be a difference between my one or say a stock one re done following ur steps in tunepro... which would be better???

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
vn-88 your chip could be stock you cant tell by dodgey stickers stuck on it you would have to extract the binary code from the eprom and compare it against 1 a stock code (downloadable from moates) and 2 a hsv binary (link up top) then you can compare your chip to others using the compare function from tunerpro.

Otherwise there is no way to tell if your chip has been changed or if som1 stuck a sticker on it sold and just said its this kinda chip.

in theory greenys tunerpro setup should be a better setup that what you have but like i said you would have to take your binary and compare it otherwise your only guessing.