Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Memcal socket install

JimmyH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S1
Simple question:

What reprogrammable chip do I buy for my series one VN? I want to try a few different configurations on it. I've got TunerPro, and I'm thinking I'm going to buy sockets/cables to do it real-time.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
AT29C256 if youre lucky enough to find one, but i think the 27SF512 is a reusable chip too?

JimmyH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S1
AT29C256 if youre lucky enough to find one, but i think the 27SF512 is a reusable chip too?

So what's the deal with a 512k chip where the actual binary I'm using is only 32k?

JimmyH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S1
Does anyone have an xdf file for a series one VN they can upload? I might mess around with my own tunings for a while.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
thanks guys ill have a look after work today.

/me prays there is no metal plate

GOD DAMNIT THERE WAS A METAL PLATE

its too hot and im in the sun bashing away trying to rip the bastard off.

briney

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S2
there are 28 pin 27c256 chip and socket sets on epay for $3.90 posted. sounded cheap. i bought 3.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
only 3 i just bought 40 more off him :yeah: good chap and he has heaps in stock.

warrenm

Reaction score
Ok the whole point of putting a socket in there is so you can either, install a Atmel 29c256 flashable eprom in place of the UV light original and then you can use an adpater to plug your memcal straight into your eprom burner and reflash your program in a couple seconds, or you can just lift the eprom out and plug in a different one, the socket just makes life easier

Later on I'll make a little guide on how to make a VN performance chip in tunerpro 4, just with screenshots and stuff like that

Another thing, since if you really want to go fast the last thing you need is a knock sensor, you can just leave the knock board off and we will disable the error code in the memcal later on
Hi greenfoam did you ever make a guide about making a performance chip as stated above? If so can you point me in the right direction as I'm new to tuning with the computer as opposed to carbs & dizzy.
Warren

VN_chris

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore S
Ive just got my hands on a VP S pack memcal. what sorts of power gains can i expect form it?