Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Memcal socket install

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
this is the first time iv noticed this thread, why have i not seen this before!!!

i own a VS V6 and and am putting a turbo on, and perhaps want to have a play with the settings myself. can a VS chip be modified on tunerpro? iv seen the kalmaker software going for $1200!!!! dont quite have that sort of cash just lying around... so would really like to buy the programmer i found on ebay, (including freight under $40!) get some chips and start learning....
is it do able?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
this is the first time iv noticed this thread, why have i not seen this before!!!

i own a VS V6 and and am putting a turbo on, and perhaps want to have a play with the settings myself. can a VS chip be modified on tunerpro? iv seen the kalmaker software going for $1200!!!! dont quite have that sort of cash just lying around... so would really like to buy the programmer i found on ebay, (including freight under $40!) get some chips and start learning....
is it do able?

Yes you can open the VS memcal tunes with tunerpro, and then modify the bin file settings to whatever you want or need using tunerpro. You will need a eprom chip burner, I use a GQ-4X chip burner, (just search it on USA ebay to find it), I paid around $100 US for mine. You will also need a UV eprom eraser to erase the eprom chip on the memcal so you can write your "modified bin file" or "tune" back to the chip again. The erasers are around $20 on ebay. If you want to,you can unsolder and remove the old eprom chip from the memcal and then resolder one of the newer type eeprom chips back to it, this will make the chip easy to erase as you dont need to use the UV eraser to erase these chips, you just click delete and the chip burner program will electronically erase it, a lot better idea than the UV light ,and very handy if you do a lot of testing with different settings etc. Tunerpro is free to download and use, you will need the right xdf file to open the VS bin file with in tunerpro, and theres a few different xdf's for VS that you can download and use. Also see a website called delcohacking, this site is excellent, and is pretty much how I got started with tuning and modifying memcal bin files etc to change things that cant usually be changed like the ignition timing .

Last edited: