Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Memcal socket install

F

Frd_thmsn

hakhawk said:
yeh, i started, got most of the way thru, shame i cant remember where it is, it got forgotten about a month ago, will try and dig it up if you want.
Thanks , wish I could read hex as a 2nd language , it would make things a lot simpler, I can understand it a bit , but too taxing for my tired brain :b:

I've been trying the standard binaries out to see how good they were.

APNX ( a very early one) is much crisper in the take off and seems less refined.
AWUY ( a VP binary) is good for around town driving I'll use this one when I lend the car to my son , less wheelspin, overall performance 0-100 surprisingly only a little slower than a performance chip, probably because the lack of wheelspin makes for a better time.

krawczuk

Reaction score
warney said:
im not too sure about that actually (maybe is correct not i think about it ) but in the v8's the vp's are electronically auto shifted but the vn are still vacuum controlled ...

hi, there are no vacuum lines to the vn auto trans.
mark k

krawczuk

Reaction score
hi, you really dont have to desolder the knock board, just push it to the sidethe pins bend easy , and i`ve done it this way lots of times.
mark k

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Frd_thmsn said:
Thanks , wish I could read hex as a 2nd language , it would make things a lot simpler, I can understand it a bit , but too taxing for my tired brain :b:

I've been trying the standard binaries out to see how good they were.

APNX ( a very early one) is much crisper in the take off and seems less refined.
AWUY ( a VP binary) is good for around town driving I'll use this one when I lend the car to my son , less wheelspin, overall performance 0-100 surprisingly only a little slower than a performance chip, probably because the lack of wheelspin makes for a better time.

I've tried AWUY, it's so grandman smooth, makes you wonder what a VP would go like with one of the more fiesty VN memcals in it

stewartp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V6 Man
Please help! I have got my self an eprom programer and have made up the chip discribed hear earlier. Following all the info which has been posted (thanks guys, good job) I cant seem to get my VN out of limp home mode!. I have even tried making a copy of my original chip and using that and still with the same results. Have checked all pins in memcal. All connected. I am using though a 27C256 inplace of the 27C128 but Burning with an offset (and without) and still no go. Any ideas please I am going insane!!!!!!. My ECU is fine, I have put the original Chip back in which runs fine. When I mention limp home mode, My CEL is staying on, my Engine fan starts up and when I start the motor it idles around 1400RPM running rich. Please help!
Cheers,

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
sounds like you havent soldered one of the pins properly. check all your pins from eprom go through the memcal socket correctly.

stewartp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V6 Man
hakhawk said:
sounds like you havent soldered one of the pins properly. check all your pins from eprom go through the memcal socket correctly.

Thanks for that. Have been right through every pin again and again and have even tried another memcal socket and new 27C256 chips and different binary's on the chip and still have the same problem. Do I maybe have to select something different while I am programming the chip. I am using a Willim programmer. Please help. I am going insane. again. Can I write to the original chip and if so how as I have tried and it returns errors when I do.
Cheers.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Stewart try reading the chip you burned and comparing it to the original in tunerpro. Also use the stacker in tunerpro to double the 128k binary and burn it straight onto the 256k chip. I'll be watching this thread for the rest of the afternoon off and on to help you get this sorted :)

stewartp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V6 Man
Cheers, I'll give that a try.

VL400

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais - Quadcam V8, tiptronic auto, 3.9lokka
Got the EEPROM the right way around?? The notch indicating pin one should be at the edge of the memcal, if its facing the knock filter and netres (the black chips under the knock filter board) spin it around. Does the EEPROM verify correctly after burning?? Are you making changes to the binary before burning or using stock ones?? If making changes make sure the checksum is correct.

The offset when using a 27c256 with a 16k binary should have the code starting at $C000 when the ECU address's it, or interms of the EEPROM an offset of $4000