Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Memcal & trans issues.

Max_064

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Quick question about the MACE memcal. I've just put one into my 95 VS stato and it's caused the 1st->2nd shift to become very harsh there is now a noticeable jolt. I've heard that the memcal increases line pressure but this seems extreme.

Anyone else experienced this?

Cheers,
Max

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds about right, you need a firm change when you have an engine with a lot of power, otherwise you risk damaging the trans.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Apart from the memcal what else have you done and how much power do you have? v6, v8.

Max_064

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Apart from the memcal what else have you done and how much power do you have? v6, v8.
V6 3.8 ecotec. Just some bolt on mods, 1.8 rocker rollers, CAI & both mace plenum spacers.

Also some minor porting on the inlet manifold (closer to gasket matching than real porting).

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
V6 3.8 ecotec. Just some bolt on mods, 1.8 rocker rollers, CAI & both mace plenum spacers.

Also some minor porting on the inlet manifold (closer to gasket matching than real porting).
My experience with store bought memcals is they aren't much good. I bought one for my VH and it ran like a goat. I had put bigger inlet valves and cam thats why I bought one. It was certainly a lot cheaper at the beginning but turned out to be a waste of money. When I went back to my original dyno tuned memcal it ran a lot better. I then had it retuned because of the different specs. It runs sweet and the gearbox (t700) changes smoothly.

The power at the wheels of my VH is 215 kw. If either of us were to have a shifting problem it should be me rather than you.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mace memcals used to be decent but this was 4 or 5 years ago. The last few years they have been off the mark, with plenty of people now having issues with their tunes. This seems to have coincided with them changing to a different tuner.
Try your original memcal. With those basic mods the factory will be ok.

Max_064

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah bit disappointed but I think I'll be going back to the factory tune. I worry the harsh shifts are hurting my gearbox and tbh I really didn't notice that much of an increase in performance.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Harsh shifts are not ideal on a trans with a few Ks on it. It's normally something you add in when rebuild the trans and strengthen up the weak points.