Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mercedes/AMG to ''unofficially'' join the V8 supercars

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I heard a rumor Nissan will use the president. Just looked for confirmation of that online and couldnt find it.
33010011037_large.jpg

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Have been living under a rock the last few months due to work... but isn't Nissan(THE FACTORY) backing Kelly Racing, while Mercedes Benz is not backing SBR???

- Erebus Motorsport is just a shop that uses AMG/Mercedes cars, not the Mercedes/AMG factory.

I'm pretty sure they are backed by AMG, but not Mercedes.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I didn't think they were backed by either. Something about portraying the wrong image for the company

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
I didn't think they were backed by either. Something about portraying the wrong image for the company

Me thinks you're correct.... Nismo is backing Kelly, which is a subsiduary/owned by Nissan... while Erebus just uses AMG cars and nothing to do with AMG and/or Mercedes Benz.

Nevertheless, will be interesting to see if 2013 flops or succeeds, I guess if more manufacturers announce they are going to join the ranks of V8SUPERCARS it could be taken it was a good move to COTF…. Time will tell. :unsure:

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
i believe AMG had to back Erebus before they could go into the v8 supercars as i heard that some amg engineers had been tweaking with the engine and chassis needed for a while now.

I also heard that while holden and ford are using there racing developed v8 motors there meant to make a switch to a motor thats being used in a road car in the next couple of years.

I cant wait for next years v8 supercars now and im glad i live in adelaide to be able to see them race first at the clipsal 500.

Go Mercedes.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
how i've read it is that amg will be providing engines to erebus racing but mercedes or amg will not be officially involved in any other part of the car or the team

FirstVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS.II Commodore Executive
how i've read it is that amg will be providing engines to erebus racing but mercedes or amg will not be officially involved in any other part of the car or the team

I think this is correct. It's my understanding that neither AMG or Mercedes-Benz will be providing sponsorship dollars. But AMG will be providing engines and other components through its 'Customer Sports' program - obviously, Erebus will have to pay for these. There's a bit of a write-up here: Wikicars.biz : Wikicars has over 1,000 extensive reviews of over 35,000 Australian cars with owners' contributions providing real-life experiences...

It's not clear to me what's going to happen with engines. Outputs will be probably be restricted, but the Nissan VK56DE engine could be more fuel efficient - this could make a difference in the enduros. COTF is based on keeping costs down, so I'd be surprised if Holden and Ford switched to road-going engines.