Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Merging

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Why are there so many drivers in Qld who don't know how to merge ie if your lane ends with dotted lines you must give way to vehicles in the continuing lane regardless of whether they are ahead of you or not. Where the lane does not end by dotted lines, the car in front has right of way. Is this so hard to understand? Has been given a lot of coverage in the media over a number of years.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
because most Qld drivers are stupid

they STILL can't figure out a roundabout

they don't understand the concept of remaining in the left lane unless overtaking on highways.

they also don't understand the concept of keeping to the left of their lane when turning left, and keeping to the right of their lane when turning right.... you'd think they are driving a road train they way they swing so wide to turn a friggin corner...

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
because most Qld drivers are stupid

they STILL can't figure out a roundabout

they don't understand the concept of remaining in the left lane unless overtaking on highways.

they also don't understand the concept of keeping to the left of their lane when turning left, and keeping to the right of their lane when turning right.... you'd think they are driving a road train they way they swing so wide to turn a friggin corner...
Good points!

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
it should also be noted that common sense should also come into play beyond what is purely written.
in said picture if green car has decided to floor it to get to that position and will stuff up people behind (not pictured obviously) then they are a jerk.
if everyone can work together then they can all get wherever they need to go faster, more efficiently and without issues.

basically there are the rules and common decency.
unfortunately too many out there cannot put those 2 together in an appropriate manner :/

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
it should also be noted that common sense should also come into play beyond what is purely written.
in said picture if green car has decided to floor it to get to that position and will stuff up people behind (not pictured obviously) then they are a jerk.
if everyone can work together then they can all get wherever they need to go faster, more efficiently and without issues.

basically there are the rules and common decency.
unfortunately too many out there cannot put those 2 together in an appropriate manner :/

How do you propose everyone works together if they all follow different rules. The roads are designed by traffic engineers with different markings for different situations. Ending lanes are not designed so "special drivers" can shoot over there to try and pass everyone who has already successfully merged and cause all the flowing traffic to stop.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
It's not just a QLD thing. In short, most drivers don't know how to merge

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
bigger issue is why cant people do the posted limit while merging? every single day without fail im sitting behind someone doing 80kmh merging onto a 100kmh highway.

i hate when i have to hit the brakes because someone is merging on under the limit. stuffs up everyone.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
bigger issue is why cant people do the posted limit while merging? every single day without fail im sitting behind someone doing 80kmh merging onto a 100kmh highway.

i hate when i have to hit the brakes because someone is merging on under the limit. stuffs up everyone.
Agree, except it's usually about 30km/hr around here.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
How do you propose everyone works together if they all follow different rules. The roads are designed by traffic engineers with different markings for different situations. Ending lanes are not designed so "special drivers" can shoot over there to try and pass everyone who has already successfully merged and cause all the flowing traffic to stop.

its all about following the rules while using some sense.
even though the rules state that in pic a has right of way, if they were in the real world travelling at the same speed (and a bit further back) it would be common courtesy if they didn't be a PITA and potentially screw up the flow of traffic to everyone behind.

like in this picture below. although green technically has the right of way, said green car is just being a jerk causing potentially more trouble.
image89.gif

obviously comes down to each situation as each one is different.
rules are to be followed but there is a time to be courteous to others out there. (don't know how that didn't make sense originally :s)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Courtesy is the biggest problem, most people don't take half a second to think about the repercussions of their actions. Too often people get caught up in the rules and having the right of way, rather than slowing down to let someone in or letting someone pass. In reality, it wont make their journey any longer - at most maybe a couple of seconds.

A couple of weeks ago, I was driving towards a railway crossing where everyone is required to zip merge into one lane. The woman behind me decided that she wasn't going to let me in, which meant that If i kept going, I would end up driving off the side of the road into an embankment. With a car behind me and a car in front of me, I had nowhere to go so I slowly moved in towards her lane, forcing her to slow down and let me in. She was waving her arms around in the air, flashing her lights, tooting her horn and giving me the finger.

After that when the road went back into two lanes, she sped past me through a red light/speed camera and the flash went off. Must've been in a hurry to be somewhere? :hmmm: It's pretty scary that people like that are given the privilege to drive.

So, anyone wanna guess what sort of car she was driving?