Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Merging

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
its all about following the rules while using some sense.
even though the rules state that in pic a has right of way, if they were in the real world travelling at the same speed (and a bit further back) it would be common courtesy if they didn't be a PITA and potentially screw up the flow of traffic to everyone behind.

like in this picture below. although green technically has the right of way, said green car is just being a jerk causing potentially more trouble.
image89.gif

obviously comes down to each situation as each one is different.
rules are to be followed but there is a time to be courteous to others out there. (don't know how that didn't make sense originally :s)

Fully agree with being courteous. But as I said if car A has just moved into that lane to try and pass everyone he should not expect to force his way back in and in the event of collision is fully at fault. In this situation it is up to him to merge not force cars out of the way. It is a totally different situation where lanes join together rather than one lane ending. Most drivers don't even seem to realise there are two different situations.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Courtesy is the biggest problem, most people don't take half a second to think about the repercussions of their actions. Too often people get caught up in the rules and having the right of way, rather than slowing down to let someone in or letting someone pass. In reality, it wont make their journey any longer - at most maybe a couple of seconds.

A couple of weeks ago, I was driving towards a railway crossing where everyone is required to zip merge into one lane. The woman behind me decided that she wasn't going to let me in, which meant that If i kept going, I would end up driving off the side of the road into an embankment. With a car behind me and a car in front of me, I had nowhere to go so I slowly moved in towards her lane, forcing her to slow down and let me in. She was waving her arms around in the air, flashing her lights, tooting her horn and giving me the finger.

After that when the road went back into two lanes, she sped past me through a red light/speed camera and the flash went off. Must've been in a hurry to be somewhere? :hmmm: It's pretty scary that people like that are given the privilege to drive.

So, anyone wanna guess what sort of car she was driving?

Courtesy is great. A lot of people just seem to expect it but not give it. At the end of the day it doesn't count for anything when your car is totalled and you're talking to the Police and insurance company and you're in the wrong because you wanted to get a couple of cars ahead in the line and didn't follow the rules.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Agree, except it's usually about 30km/hr around here.

Also can't bother to look over their shoulder to see if there is anything beside them. Just move over and expect everyone else to take evasive action.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
You should try driving a 25m long truck around the city, the among of people who don't consider that there is NEVER a gap big enough to change lanes or merge at peak hour, but after a minute solid of indicating, still speed up to close any gap that had formed, because they could t possibly be behind a truck for any length of time ffs.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
You should try driving a 25m long truck around the city, the among of people who don't consider that there is NEVER a gap big enough to change lanes or merge at peak hour, but after a minute solid of indicating, still speed up to close any gap that had formed, because they could t possibly be behind a truck for any length of time ffs.

Yeah, gave that game away long ago. Many people have never driven a semi, motorbike or any other vehicle other than a car and would have no ideA about them. Then again they've never bothered to learn how to operate their own vehicle correctly.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
The way people disrespect motorcycle riders as well is scarey, people don't seem to have any idea of the repocussions of their actions if the rider gets hit. Mind you, some riders don't help their cause either. Just like the truck, people will push in and cut trucks off, not for one second considering that it is the passengers in their cars that will be killed if it all goes wrong, and it often does. Mums who cut trucks off with their kids strapped in the back, with a sticker on the back saying 'baby on board' get me, so they want me to be careful coz they have kids in the car, but they drive like idiots and that's ok???

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Attitude on the roads is abysmal.

Queensland drivers are without doubt the worst I've had to be with on our often very bad roads, after having driven MANY MANY miles and kilometers in Europe and the U.S.A.
Hanging in the outside lane is a favorite for many of them here. In Europe drivers are very savvy and see you coming from way back and move over, and they use their high beams flashed from way back just to make sure you see them coming often at very high speed.
In the U.S.A. drivers stay in the lane on their fabulous roadways at the speed they are comfortable with, there is just no ducking and diving around from lane to lane as is here.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Yep, hate being behind a truck. On the freeway near me they would have to be the most inconsiderate assholes on the planet. Oooooo truck in the left is doing 80km/h in a 110km/h zone, but I'll swing into the right lane cutting everyone off so I can do 81km/h for the next 5 K's'.