Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Metal gearbox shifter plate in a VL?

Unconnected

Reaction score
Members Ride
Impreza/Redline VF soon
Hey guys, im going to buy a VL soon, and im planning on fixing the interior up a bit. one of the things i dont like about the VL (and most cars from the era) is the horrid rubber shifter boot.

so im thinking of getting a peice of metal cut to form a metal plate like they had in older cars, as i think they look sweet. when i researched doing this, i didnt find any results for it. so either:

A) no one wants to do it to a car
B) it cant be done eaisly for what ever reason

if you dont know what im talking about:
ferrari_f50_interior_thumb.thumbnail.jpg

can it be done with ease?

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
With the right measurements, i dont see why not..i figure most people might not casue it might not be legal? or it could cost a bit just for a simple cool looking idea..

Unconnected

Reaction score
Members Ride
Impreza/Redline VF soon
i dont think it will cost too much, there are companies online that provide you with CAD software that you design you part in, and then you just send them the file and they make it. ill try to find the link.

Not sure on the legality of it, ill ask a mechanic about it.

edit: http://www.emachineshop.com/machine-shop/Home/page5.html

thats the site i am thinking of.

EDIT:

Just made a ham fisted go at a gearbox shaped plate with no measurements. and if i can get >5 people the price is around 20usd per plate shipped. more then 10 and its like 5$ each.

hmm

Last edited:

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
i dont think it will cost too much, there are companies online that provide you with CAD software that you design you part in, and then you just send them the file and they make it. ill try to find the link.

Not sure on the legality of it, ill ask a mechanic about it.

edit: Home Online Machine Shop Fabricate Custom Parts Instant Pricing

thats the site i am thinking of.

EDIT:

Just made a ham fisted go at a gearbox shaped plate with no measurements. and if i can get >5 people the price is around 20usd per plate shipped. more then 10 and its like 5$ each.

hmm

Thats a cool place/site, if i had an manual gearbox id be one of those people :thumbsup: Look like you'll have to pay around 40 au dollars just for a single one.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
might want to look into how you will get the shifter in
the bottom at the gearbox end has a big ball and the top of the shaft is pritty fat

so either you need to have a opening on one sides to slide it in or have it made in two pieces

if you make the gaps too big its pointless as its designed to give min sideways throw on shifts

Unconnected

Reaction score
Members Ride
Impreza/Redline VF soon
i was just going to remove the knob and slide it over the rod part and then screw it in place or glue it in with some liquid nails etc. its pretty cool, you can get the parts made in anything from balkalite to carbon fiber. even wood lol.

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
the gap in the carpet is big there, plus the trans tunnel isnt a straight forward shape that you can make it to fit. i think this will be quite difficult. if you have ever seen a vh-vl without carpet in you'll know what i mean about the trans tunnel.

good luck